Is there any way to summarize taxa plot by category?

Hi!
I was wondering if we could plot taxa grouping it by categories in metadata like in qiime1: summarize_taxa_through_plots.py

I tried by exporting the biom table with
qiime tools export table-l2.qza --output-dir TAXA_BARPLOT_L2 summarize_taxa_through_plots.py -o taxa_summary_by_age -i feature-table.biom -m ../meta.txt -c Age
Error message:
ValueError: BIOM table does not contain any observation metadata (e.g., taxonomy). You can add metadata to it using the 'biom add-metadata' command.

Any help would be much appreciated!!
Thanks!

3 Likes

Hi @m-ocejo! We currently don’t have that functionality in QIIME 2’s taxa barplots. I created an issue to track the addition of that feature. Note that you can sort the samples by a metadata category, so that samples from the same category will be grouped together (but each bar will still represent a single sample).

If you’re interested in using QIIME 1 to produce these grouped barplots, you can export your BIOM table and taxonomy data from your .qza files. In order to use summarize_taxa_through_plots.py, you’ll need to export a feature table that hasn’t been collapsed to a particular taxonomic level yet, along with the table’s corresponding taxonomic annotations.

For example:

qiime tools export table.qza --output-dir exported
qiime tools export taxonomy.qza --output-dir exported

Next, we’ll need to modify the exported taxonomy file’s header before using it with BIOM software. Before modifying that file, make a copy:

cp exported/taxonomy.tsv biom-taxonomy.tsv

The first few lines in biom-taxonomy.tsv should look something like this (the actual data will differ):

Feature ID	Taxon	Confidence
0204aa97a655fab087a6f6902be35eb6	k__Bacteria; p__Bacteroidetes; c__Sphingobacteriia; o__Sphingobacteriales; f__Sphingobacteriaceae; g__Sphingobacterium; s__faecium	-1.0
5cfeeb662c643e512cbfc724c984f53d	k__Bacteria; p__Firmicutes; c__Bacilli; o__Lactobacillales; f__Lactobacillaceae; g__Lactobacillus; s__	-1.0
4dc10ad4afd35b9803d853e819d3cec5	k__Bacteria; p__Firmicutes; c__Clostridia; o__Clostridiales; f__Lachnospiraceae; g__; s__	-1.0

Change the first line of biom-taxonomy.tsv (i.e. the header) to this:

#OTUID	taxonomy	confidence

Note that you’ll need to use tab characters in the header since this is a TSV file.

Your biom-taxonomy.tsv file should now look something like this (the actual data will differ):

#OTUID	taxonomy	confidence
0204aa97a655fab087a6f6902be35eb6	k__Bacteria; p__Bacteroidetes; c__Sphingobacteriia; o__Sphingobacteriales; f__Sphingobacteriaceae; g__Sphingobacterium; s__faecium	-1.0
5cfeeb662c643e512cbfc724c984f53d	k__Bacteria; p__Firmicutes; c__Bacilli; o__Lactobacillales; f__Lactobacillaceae; g__Lactobacillus; s__	-1.0
4dc10ad4afd35b9803d853e819d3cec5	k__Bacteria; p__Firmicutes; c__Clostridia; o__Clostridiales; f__Lachnospiraceae; g__; s__	-1.0

Finally, add the taxonomy data to your .biom file:

biom add-metadata -i exported/feature-table.biom -o table-with-taxonomy.biom --observation-metadata-fp biom-taxonomy.tsv --sc-separated taxonomy

You can now use table-with-taxonomy.biom as input to summarize_taxa_through_plots.py.

Let us know how it goes!

16 Likes

An off-topic reply has been split into a new topic: Export BIOM Table to CSV

Please keep replies on-topic in the future.

An off-topic reply has been split into a new topic: Adding qiime2 taxonomy data to a .biom file

Please keep replies on-topic in the future.