Plugin error from feature-classifier: Memory Error

Dear all, I am trying feature-classifier for my taxonomic Analysis. When I executed this step, I got the error:
Plugin error from feature-classifier:

My system configuration is:
Memory: 8 GB
Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-7100 CPU @ 3.90GHz × 4

Am I getting these error due to my system configuration? Is there anyway I can solve this?

Hi @steffi!

That error indicates you have run out of RAM/Memory. Can you tell us a bit more about your execution environment? Are you running a native Ubuntu install, or is that part of a Virtual Machine deployment? If you are running in a VM, you can potentially increase the allocated RAM, but YMMV. You can also check out the AWS deployment option, you could rent a hi-mem AWS instance (but, charges might apply). Otherwise, you might be limited by the available resources on this computer. Let us know! :t_rex:

Hi @thermokarst
Thank you for the reply. I am running a native Ubuntu system and the RAM size is 8 GB. could you please tell us the basic system requirement for qiime analysis. We are planning to improve our system configuration upto 64 GB bit. Will that be enough ?

Hi @steffi, thanks so much for the details!

Unfortunately I can't provide that kind of estimate - there are so many factors that impact this - it is highly dependent on things like: read length, sequencing depth, number of samples, taxonomic database, size of denoised feature table, etc.

I suspect 64 GB would be a really good amount to work with for many different datasets.

I hope that helps, and as always, feel free to send more questions our way! :t_rex:

Thank you for your reply. Ill check on that .

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.