Issue using Silva classifier high number of only Bacteria assigned

Hello, I have an issue with the taxonomy of silva 132 database in qiime2-amplicon-2023.9.
First, I was analyzing 192 samples of 16s pig's microbiota, when I analysed all the samples at the same time with the classifier, I obtained a high number of D_0__Bacteria;;;;;__, (71.528% higher).
Then I decide to analysed the most 'problematic' samples separated from the rest, suddenly I saw that this exact samples are assigned perfectly when they are separated on another different group:

Here is the command I used to do the taxonomic classification.

qiime feature-classifier classify-sklearn \
  --i-classifier ownSilvaClassifier.qza \
  --i-reads 6.2_rep-seqs-op_ref-85.qza \
  --o-classification 11_taxonomy-sklearn.qza 

Hi @geryale29,

The likely cause if the fact that many of your sequences are not in the same 5' - 3' orientation as the reference classifier. That is, they are in a mixed orientation, as discussed in quite a few threads.

I refer you to the following threads, as a potential way to get your sequences oriented:


@geryale29, I also just realized that you might be using an older version of the SILVA reference database, as suggested by the taxonomy rank:

Later versions of QIIME 2 now provide premade SILVA (v138) classifiers with a Greengenes-like taxonomy. These classifiers, and the files used to train them are available via the Data resource page. You can even curate SILVA, and other reference databases, with RESCRIPt.


This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.