Install QIIME2 on Macbook Pro 2021 with apple M1 Chip

1. Install miniforge3;

2. Set the Terminal app to run under rosetta mode;

3. Use the command line below to install qiime2 with the library link to osx-64 for intel Chip;

CONDA_SUBDIR=osx-64 conda env create -n qiime2-2021.11 --file qiime2-2021.11-py38-osx-conda.yml

1. After qiime2 installation, a dialogue will show and suggests to install x-run. Please choose "yes";

2. Use the command line below to activate the qiime2 environment and set the library link to the intel chip subdirectory;

conda activate qiime2-2021.11
python -c "import platform;print(platform.machine())"
conda env config vars set CONDA_SUBDIR=osx-64

1. Reactivate the qiime2 environment, and make the settings effective;

conda deactivate
conda activate qiime2-202111
echo "CONDA_SUBDIR: $CONDA_SUBDIR"

1. All thing is done. Enjoy it!
8 Likes

I am stuck on the 3rd step, for which I receive the error message: "SpecNotFound: Invalid name, try the format: user/package". I've tried both for qiime2-2021.11 and for qiime2-2022.2. I've also tried removing the existing qiime2 environment and reinstalling.

I have a MacBook Pro 2021 with Apple M1 Chip.

I would appreciate your suggestions. Thanks!

Update 071122: I was able to install qiime2-2022.2 by removing my current version of miniconda, and reinstalling miniconda for MacOS x86 64-bit. (I was not able to get it to work with miniforge3.) Then I could follow the standard instructions for qiime2-2022.2 installation for Mac.

1 Like

Have you tried some of the suggestions here? Obviously, ignore the self-referencing link to this thread.

-Mike

1 Like

I have, but thanks anyway for the tip. I've resolved this now (please see the 7/11/22 update to my original post).

1 Like