Demux error, barcode orientation

Hello,
I am new to Qiime2 and I am having a problem with demultiplexing. My data type is EMP-paired-end-sequences went through the Atacama soil microbiome tutorial. I checked my index file and I think that like the tutorial it contains the reverse complement of the BarcodeSequences column in my metadata file. So I used
qiime demux emp-paired --m-barcodes-file sample-metadata.tsv --m-barcodes-column BarcodeSequence --i-seqs emp-paired-end-sequences.qza --o-per-sample-sequences demux --p-rev-comp-mapping-barcodes

but received the plugin error Plugin error from demux:

No sequences were mapped to samples. Check that your barcodes are in the correct orientation (see the rev_comp_barcodes and/or rev_comp_mapping_barcodes options).

I tried replacing the rev_comp_option with the rev_comp_barcodes option and got the same error. I also ran it with out the option and had the same result.

I looked at the error log (below) but I still cant figure out what I am doing incorrectly.

File “/Users/mcevasco/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2018.2/lib/python3.5/site-packages/q2cli/commands.py”, line 246, in call
results = action(**arguments)
File “”, line 2, in emp_paired
File “/Users/mcevasco/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2018.2/lib/python3.5/site-packages/qiime2/sdk/action.py”, line 228, in bound_callable
output_types, provenance)
File “/Users/mcevasco/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2018.2/lib/python3.5/site-packages/qiime2/sdk/action.py”, line 363, in callable_executor
output_views = self._callable(**view_args)
File “/Users/mcevasco/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2018.2/lib/python3.5/site-packages/q2_demux/_demux.py”, line 378, in emp_paired
raise ValueError('No sequences were mapped to samples. Check that '
ValueError: No sequences were mapped to samples. Check that your barcodes are in the correct orientation (see the rev_comp_barcodes and/or rev_comp_mapping_barcodes options).

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give,
Megan

Hi @mcevasco,
Check out this forum post it sounds like that user had the same trouble and they simply mixed up their seq/barcode files when importing. Check that and let us know!

I hope that helps!

Thank you! That was the issue. Thanks again!

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.