Tutorial: Basic Command Line Interface for Beginners to Qiime2

Hello all, it came up here, that it might be useful to have a tutorial for basic CLI (command line interface) commands, to link to for when people are struggling using an unfamiliar environment. If anyone has any amendments (especially for MacOS as I am not at all familiar with it) then please post below or PM me or create a pull request on github.

Basic BASH for Q2

Folder navigation, and moving files

In linux we use the 'cd' command for example:

this will direct us to your home directory:

cd ~

This will direct us to the folder QiimeScripts in the home directory no matter where we currently are:

cd ~/QiimeScripts

his will direct us to the folder QiimeScripts that is contained within the current target directory:

cd QiimeScripts 

To go up one in the folder heirachy use:

cd ..

For example assuming you opened a terminal and ran these scripts you would first be taken to the home directory, then to 'QiimeScripts', and then to 'QiimeScripts/QiimeScripts', and then back to 'QiimeScripts'.

But wait you're saying you got an error when running 'cd ~/QiimeScripts':

bash: cd: /home/nls/QiimeScripts: No such file or directory

This is because you don't have a directory ~/QiimeScripts, lets make one using the 'mkdir' command:

mkdir QiimeScripts

And if you need to make a chain of folders:

mkdir -p ~/QiimeScripts/folders/that/dont/exist/yet

Oh no we didnt actually want all those folders there lets remove all the folders within QiimeScripts using 'rm':

rm ~/QiimeScripts/folders

Uh, not another error!:

rm: cannot remove '/home/nls/QiimeScripts/folders': Is a directory

This is because rm can only be used on files...

... I lied you can remove directories using 'rm -r' but be careful it will delete everything in those folders and they will not go to the recycling bin.

rm -r ~/QiimeScripts/folders

Lets install an application that means are items can be sent to the recycling bin more easily:
(WARNING: This will not work for MacOS, you can either use the program here, you may also want to conser using homebrew, which can be used to install instead of 'apt-get'. I don't know how MacOS works so if anyone would like to help em out here that would be great!)

sudo apt-get install trash-cli

Okay now we just use 'trash' instead of 'rm':

trash ~/QiimeScripts

Oh no you're telling me you had important scripts and data in that folder!?
Just as well we used 'trash' and not 'rm':

There are other CLI based trash applications such as trash-restore ect, but for now just restore the files using the GUI.

Right now you've restored the folder lets navigate back to our folder:

cd ~/QiimeScripts

To see all the files you just almost lost use the 'ls' command, and alternative is the 'dir' command, its not quite as informative, try them both:

dir
ls

These commands will give you a list of all the files within current directory and an be a very powerful tool.
Alternatively you can use it on another directory eg:

ls ~/

These are all the files and directories contained directly within the home directory.

Right so lets run some qiime 2 scripts, but wait first we need to get the data from '~/Data'. I'll just copy and paste it over

No, we're CLI for life now!

~/Data
dir

Thats a lot of files... okay I know we can use the * to mean any characters, lets try:

cp ~/Data/*.fastq.gz ~/QiimeScripts

Wow, that was even easier than Ctrl-C Ctrl-V!

Oh no I meant to move them into a folder Analysis within QiimeScripts, lets use the 'mv' command:

cd QiimeScripts
mkdir Analysis
mv *.fastq.gz Analysis/

You are now ready to start learning Qiime 2! Start here Tutorials — QIIME 2 2018.8.0 documentation If you get stuck with CLI issues come back here.

Shell scripts

Great now we can run some qiime 2 scripts, but wouldn't it be good if we didn't have to type them out or copy and paste them everytime...?

Where there is a will there is a way, enter the Shell script.

First make a new document, and open it in an editor (I'll use gedit):

touch Q2_Analysis.sh
gedit Q2_Analysis.sh

First we have to put what is known as a shebang line, this is my prefered line below:

#!/bin/bash
set -e
set -u 

The first line tells the terminal this is a BASH script, the second line tell the script to halt if there are any errors, and the final line stops the script if there are any unset variables.

Then add your Qiime 2 pipeline that you want to be repeatable, you may want to just do each step in its own script or you may like to do the entire pipeline from start to finish, its up to you.

To make the script executable first, run:

sudo chmod 755 Q2_Analysis.sh 

And then simply:

./Q2_Analysis.sh

Trouble shooting

You will probably get some sort of errors, make sure your directories are called correctly, and that file names match. Most/any of the scripts in this tutorial will work when using shell scripts, so knock yourself out. Additonally ther is one more command I find very useful for working out where in your pipeline you are up to, echo:

echo "Hello World!"
echo "Copying files to Analysis folder"
echo "Backing up raw data files"

Final word

Well if you got this far, well done! You are ready to start using the CLI to make impress all your coworkers and friends (okay maybe not!). If you need any more help I advise googling any problems you have, and reading the manuals for each command if you need it to work slightly differently, the BASH manual can be found here: An A-Z Index of the Linux command line - SS64.com

Most up to date tutorial hosted here. Hosted on github so I can keep editing it indefinitely.

Please post any amendments to the tutorial below/PM me/create a pull request on github, and for as long as I can I'll update here too.

Enjoy,

Jono

7 Likes

Hi,
I wrote a set of simple scripts which may be useful for beginners to perform basic analyses on their Illumina paired-end data. For explanation of each step, there is already very good documentation provided in the tutorials/forum, and many expert people ready to help. I just thought that these scripts may aid in the transition from demo to own data.
Simone

2 Likes

Hello,

This is looking pretty. People get scared of cli, and I understand the reason. It looks like it is too advanced for a non programmer user, a black window with white lines without no explanation etc.

Therefore, such tutorials are perfect for beginners. Thank you.

Maybe there can be some examples for find or locate, ssh, scp, grep, cat, head, tail, less, nano or vim. I think these are some stuff that a beginner might need, but I’m not sure these are necessary.

What do you think?

Hi,
for sure I think some familiarity with Unix-based operative systems is needed for running QIIME2, therefore those commands you mention are fundamental. However, a part from that, I think that the specific file types used by QIIME2 as “artifacts” may scary also experienced shell users, that are new to this concept. The tutorials are already perfect for getting into this. However, I thought the provided scripts could help quantify the (little) amount of code needed for running a basic analysis and serve as a simple example workflow.