Trobleshooting import reads

Dear Qiimers,

I am working on some unusual data for me, and I need some help with importing the reads correctly. I have 16S v3-v4 Illumina data, which seem to have been already demultiplexed and trimmed; also, looking at the headers, each sample was sequenced on multiple lanes, which were then merged. My usual:

qiime tools import --type 'SampleData[PairedEndSequencesWithQuality]' \
    --input-format CasavaOneEightLanelessPerSampleDirFmt 

does not work:
Missing one or more files for CasavaOneEightSingleLanePerSampleDirFmt: '.+_.+_L[0-9][0-9][0-9]_R[12]_001\\.fastq\\.gz'

So I tried
--input-format CasavaOneEightLanelessPerSampleDirFmt

The import step seemed to have worked, but then I got the same error in the next step (cutadapt).

Can you please advice on the best way to import the data?

Thank you for your kind attention,
Max

EDIT: I am using q2 v 2019.7

1 Like

Hi @mstagliamonte,

Have you tried the manifest format? It requires a bit more work up front from you for importing, but I think it will make your life easier over all.

There's some development for automatic manifests in both R and python which might be of interest.

Best,
Justine

3 Likes

Dear @jwdebelius ,

Thank you for your kind answer. Also the script for making manifest files is a great idea!
I was looking at the manifest file tutorial, and one of the fields requires the lane number. The files I received have already been merged by sample, so there are at least 2 lanes in each fastq file. Do you have any advice how to include this info on the manifest file? Or should I resort to split the reads by lane and then import them?

Best,
Max

EDIT: Nevermind, I read thorugh the tutorial again, maybe I donā€™t need that column in the manifesto. I will give it a try and see how it goes. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yes the manifest file should look like this:

Code should look like this:

qiime tools import
--type 'SampleData[PairedEndSequencesWithQuality]'
--input-path /gpfs/scratch/wub02/projects/milan.elastase.run/fastq/manifest.txt
--output-path /gpfs/scratch/wub02/projects/milan.elastase.run/QIIME2_2_import/paired-end-demux.qza
--input-format PairedEndFastqManifestPhred33V2

1 Like

Great!

I have run ll the way to deblur and everything seems to work. Thank you for guiding me through it, I appreciate your kind help.

Best,
Max

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.