Samsung Chromebook Qiime2 Installation

I have read the steps for installing Qiime 2 but I am not sure that I have saved the right documention. I have a Samsung Chromebook laptop. What do you recommend that I do to install Qiime 2 on my Samsung Chromebook laptop

1 Like

Hello @cedsham88,

I believe that Chromebooks use some sort of linux under the hood. So you could try to follow the installation instructions for linux here.

2 Likes

That is the link to the type of device that I own.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-15-6-chromebook-intel-celeron-4gb-memory-64gb-emmc-flash-memory-platinum-titan/6503860.p?skuId=6503860&extStoreId=1436&ref=212&loc=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9fqnBhDSARIsAHlcQYREHmWnzMCb57qfMdfpxgiP67Df1UZb05Uea9E_6MwqXYOo5f-W6l0aAuPHEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hi @cedsham88,

The listed operating system for your device is ChromeOS, which (as @colinvwood mentioned) is a Linux-based operating system designed by Google. So you should be able to follow the instructions he provided above for a Linux install. Hope this helps!

Cheers :lizard:

Am I downloading the correct linux file for my samsung chrome book?

I have downloaded:

Miniconda3-py38_23.5.2.0-Linux-86_64.sh
Miniconda3-py39_23.5.2.0-Linux-x86_64.sh
Miniconda3-py311_23.5.2-0-Linux-x86_64.sh
Miniconda3-latest-Linux-x86_64.sh

Hi @cedsham88,

I rejected a few of your replies due to duplicate posts. Please refrain from double/triple posting when you reply, as this will not help us to assist you any faster.

With regards to the linux files you mentioned above, it looks like you've shared a few miniconda files. I would just follow the Miniconda installation instructions for Linux, which will provide you with the correct install file:
https://conda.io/projects/conda/en/latest/user-guide/install/linux.html

Once that's installed, you can install QIIME 2 using these instructions:
https://docs.qiime2.org/2023.7/install/native/#install-qiime-2-within-a-conda-environment

Thanks for the information. Thats the link I used to check for the installation but the terminal didn't accept the bash code

Hi @cedsham88,

I don't have much experience with Chromebooks, but I did find this on Google's Chromebook help pages:

If you haven't enabled Linux on your machine yet, that needs to happen prior to running any bash commands in your terminal.

I also found this tutorial on installing miniconda on a Chromebook, which you may find useful:

1 Like

cedsham88@penguin:~ bash Miniconda3-latest-Linux-x86_64.sh bash: Miniconda3-latest-Linux-x86_64.sh: No such file or directory cedsham88@penguin:~ bash Miniconda3-py39_23.5.2.0-Linux-x86_64.sh
bash: Miniconda3-py39_23.5.2.0-Linux-x86_64.sh: No such file or directory
cedsham88@penguin:~ bash filename bash: filename: No such file or directory cedsham88@penguin:~ conda install
-bash: conda: command not found
cedsham88@penguin:~ sha256sum filename sha256sum: filename: No such file or directory cedsham88@penguin:~

Hi @cedsham88,

Please provide context to go along with any error messages you receive - have you enabled developer mode on your Chromebook? Did you use the miniconda install tutorial I shared in my previous message?

I have recently entered this code:

bash Anaconda3-2021.05-Linux-x86_64.sh

And this happened:
y
y
y
y
y
y
y
y
y

@cedsham88,

Have you enabled developer mode on your Chromebook? Did you use the miniconda install tutorial I shared in my previous message?

I used the suggestions that you gave me.

1.) The last step that I got to was using this code: bash Anaconda3-2021.05-Linux-x86_64.sh

2.) Then I had to answer: {yes/no} for the license agreement.

3.) I selected: {yes}

But the output was continuous "y" in the same way as seen below:

y
y
y
y
y
y
y
y
y
y
y
y
y
y
y
y
y
y

@cedsham88,

Can you provide a screenshot of your terminal that includes the yes/no license agreement along with the continuous y's you are seeing?

I will definitely send that as soon as possible