Plugin Error from feature-claasifier

Hello,

I am trying to train a taxonomic classifier using the Eztaxon 16S reference data specific for QIIME platform using the following commands:

qiime feature-classifier fit-classifier-naive-bayes –i-reference-reads ref-seqs.qza –i-reference-taxonomy ref-taxonomy.qza –o-classifier classifier.qza

but I get a plugin error message about Memory Error.

So I tried to set a larger RAM (23000MB), and decrease chunk-size from 20000 to 15000 and 12000, but it still did not work.

I would like to know if I mistook the meaning of chunk-size setting or the memory is still not enough? Thx a lot!

Good morning,

Estimating the amount of memory needed is really hard because it depends on the size and complexity of the database. My first thought is to make sure your computer or VM has as much memory as possible; 23 GB is a good amount so it sounds like you have already done this. Keep in mind that this is not a setting you pass to this script; you will have to increase your memory in the VM settings, by closing other programs, or by running on a designated node.

Your suggestion of decreasing chunk-size is the next option, and I'm glad you tried that. Finally, use a very small chunk size, like --p-classify--chunk-size 100 just to make sure the script can run at all.

Good question! The flag --p-memory TEXT is not currently documented.

Let me know what you find,
Colin

Hi @colinbrislawn ,

Thanks for the quick reply! I actually set the memory in the VM settings after closing the programs, but I wonder if there is a way to make sure the program can really get so much memory?

Another question is, what’s the meaning of the flag --p-memory TEXT? I did not find the description of this flag but the default setting.

Good morning,

After increasing the memory given to the VM, you can open up Ubuntu's System Monitor check on the amount of memory available. You should see all 23 GB inside the VM.

Yeah, they didn't document that command. Qiime 2 is a work in progress. :man_shrugging: I bet it's maximum memory used for each block, but qiime devs can confirm that for us. Once we know, I can add that to the documentation.

Colin

Thanks @XiaolanLin for your question and thanks @colinbrislawn for your excellent answer.

I would follow Colin’s advice and try a very small --p-classify--chunk-size to start with. Please let us know how you go with that.

In answer to the question regarding --p-memory, it’s not actually at all related to this problem, sorry, but is an artefact of how we register scikit-learn classifiers for use in the plugin. I have created an issue suggesting that it be removed from the interface.

2 off-topic replies have been split into a new topic: Virtual box out of space — feature classifier error

Please keep replies on-topic in the future.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.