Plugin error from demux--AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'strip'

Hello guys!
I have the following error when running qiime2:
Failed 1 b"Plugin error from demux:
'NoneType' object has no attribute 'strip'
Debug info has been saved to QiimeAnalysis/qiime2-q2cli-err-a3nzsk7v.log”
It seems like the same problem as already describes in this thread - Demux summarize error: Plugin error from demux- 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'strip'
But I have checked the line count in each of your files according to @ [thermokarst] suggestion. (Profile - thermokarst - QIIME 2 Forum).
All of them are 0. So what should I do to debug?

Hi @Chnyng,

Can you provide more context on where this error is occurring? The screenshot you provided shows that while you are in a QIIME 2 environment, you're not running any commands particular to q2-demux - you're just looping through your FASTQ files using bash commands.

If applicable, please copy/paste the entire command where you're running q2-demux (making sure to include the --verbose flag in your command) and the entire traceback that you receive. Thanks! :lizard:

Hello @lizgehret
Thanks for you reply. I didin't run any commands beacuse I use "EDGE", which is a platform can help me to run qiime2. I am not sure if you know it.
But it provided a error.log to me. The following is the error log, it contains the traceback of the error. Could you please help to analyze it?

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/edge/edge_dev/thirdParty/Anaconda3/envs/qiime2/lib/python3.6/site-packages/q2cli/commands.py", line 328, in call
results = action(**arguments)
File "</home/edge/edge_dev/thirdParty/Anaconda3/envs/qiime2/lib/python3.6/site-packages/decorator.py:decorator-gen-440>", line 2, in summarize
File "/home/edge/edge_dev/thirdParty/Anaconda3/envs/qiime2/lib/python3.6/site-packages/qiime2/sdk/action.py", line 240, in bound_callable
output_types, provenance)
File "/home/edge/edge_dev/thirdParty/Anaconda3/envs/qiime2/lib/python3.6/site-packages/qiime2/sdk/action.py", line 445, in callable_executor
ret_val = self._callable(output_dir=temp_dir, **view_args)
File "/home/edge/edge_dev/thirdParty/Anaconda3/envs/qiime2/lib/python3.6/site-packages/q2_demux/_summarize/_visualizer.py", line 131, in summarize
for seq in _read_fastq_seqs(file):
File "/home/edge/edge_dev/thirdParty/Anaconda3/envs/qiime2/lib/python3.6/site-packages/q2_demux/_demux.py", line 37, in _read_fastq_seqs
yield (seq_header.strip(), seq.strip(), qual_header.strip(),
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'strip'

Best wishes! Thanks!

Hi @Chnyng,

I have not heard of EDGE before, is this what you're referring to?
https://edgebioinformatics.org/

It looks like this is just a web interface for QIIME 2 actions. What QIIME 2 action were you attempting to perform when you received this error? Based on the error log you provided, it seems as though you were attempting to run demux summarize. The issue is coming from this portion of the traceback:

This method within QIIME 2 is attempting to read the sample data provided as input, but it appears as though the input file provided is empty. Did you import your sequence data into QIIME 2 prior to running demux summarize in EDGE? If so, you may want to examine the raw data (pre-QIIME 2 import) to see why your demultiplexed sequence data is empty.

Cheers :lizard:

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.