No module named qiime.util

I just installed the latest version of qiime: qiime2-2018.2 and when I run split_libraries_fastq.py I get the error:

Traceback (most recent call last): File "/Users/leahbriscoe/anaconda/bin/split_libraries_fastq.py", line 19, in <module> from qiime.util import parse_command_line_parameters, make_option, gzip_open ImportError: No module named qiime.util

after running the command:
split_libraries_fastq.py FASTQ_files/SRR5908980.fastq --barcode_type 'not-barcoded'

I’m wondering if it’s because I did a pip install (which used the old qiime) right before this one. I deleted all the qiime files I thought were relevant but I think there might still be issues.

Hello,

QIIME2 represents a very different way of approaching analyses and interacting with data. The QIIME1 model of calling a script with a bunch of arguments is gone - hence why you are receiving an error, you are calling a QIIME1 script but QIIME1 no longer exists. IMHO the new model is much easier once you get past the initial changes. I would strongly recommend taking a look a the QIIME2 tutorial to get a sense of what the new commands look like but as an examples:

split_libraries_fastq.py FASTQ_files/SRR5908980.fastq --barcode_type 'not-barcoded'

Would look like the following in QIIME2

first you would load your files into a .qza file:

qiime tools import \
  --type EMPSingleEndSequences \
  --input-path FASTQ_files\
  --output-path emp-single-end-sequences.qza

Then demultiplex

qiime demux emp-single \
  --i-seqs emp-single-end-sequences.qza \
  --m-barcodes-file sample-metadata.tsv \
  --m-barcodes-column BarcodeSequence \
  --o-per-sample-sequences demux.qza

This is taken from the tutorial so you will need to adapt the commands to exactly what you need, but I just wanted to provide an example of the usage.

You can find the tutorial here

4 Likes

Thanks for clarifying that! Since I have already joined reads that are also already demultiplexed, I’m trying QIIME 1 now.

Assuming you are still seeing that error, I think something may have gone wrong in your conda environment.

QIIME 2 is installed into it’s own environment, so it shouldn’t be impacting your QIIME 1 scripts at all, however you do have QIIME 1 installed in the “root” environment, which can be tricky to get right.

I would recommend uninstalling conda and starting over with the QIIME 1 (and 2) installation, making sure each is in it’s own conda environment so that they can’t interact with other programs (which is maybe what’s happening?).

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.