Merged samples from 2 runs exist as 2 separate groups

Dear team,

I am using Qiime2 version 2020.6 currently. I merged processed samples(after DADA2) samples from 2 runs using the following command:

qiime feature-table merge
--i-tables table1.qza
--i-tables table2.qza \

qiime feature-table merge-seqs
--i-data rep-seqs1.qza
--i-data rep-seqs2.qza \

When I ran the distance matrix ordination using bray curtis and Unweighted Unifrac, I found that samples from both the run formed distinct groups. See below:

BRAY-CURTIS

Unweighted UNIFRAC

After merging, I created a rooted-tree based on the merged table. Since we normally outsource our samples for sequencing, I am unsure if this group could be due to difference in sequencing parameter. I usually do 100000 reads/sample. I am not sure what is causing this. Please advise.

Regards.

ArunRR

Hi @Arun04 ,
Check out this paper, specifically this figure: https://journals.asm.org/doi/10.1128/mSystems.00021-18#fig9

looks like you have the same or similar issue (i.e., runs from different primers, or even slightly different lengths, etc).

You can check out the q2-fragment-insertion plugin to see if that fixes your issue. Otherwise scan this forum for lots of previous troubleshooting of similar issues.

Good luck!

1 Like

Hi @Nicholas_Bokulich,

Thank you for the advise. It was due to the different lengths in DADA2 trimming. Appreciate your help.

Regards.

ArunRR

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.