Is it possible to install 2 version of QIIME2 in parallel?

(Clara) #1

Dear QIIME2 developers, I have used QIIME2-2018.4 before (data are in the process of publishing, so might need it again later) and currently I have a new set of sequencing which I think is better to use a latest version of QIIME2-2019.4. Is it possible to install both version in parallel? I search on the forum and notice people only “update” their old version, haven’t seen anyone wanted to install both in parallel.
Thanks.

Hi! You can install as many versions of Qiime2 or even Qiime1 in parallel as you want.

2 Likes
(Clara) #3

How can I do that? If I install again, it will update my older version instead of adding another version?

Just install a new version as described in tutorial. You will have the old one and a new one as well.
No special actions are needed. You can activate and use any of installed versions.

2 Likes
(Clara) #5

Great! thanks for that information. So is that means I can also install an older version if I need it?

Yes. Any version you want

1 Like
(Qiimer) #7

Hey, no need to activate your previous Qiime2! you can just follow the installation protocol in the tutorial page after opening a new terminal in Linux. It is as same as you have installed the last version of Qiime2. Good luck

(Nicholas Bokulich) #8

Let me provide a concrete example.

You have installed the latest version like this:

wget https://data.qiime2.org/distro/core/qiime2-2019.4-py36-osx-conda.yml
conda env create -n qiime2-2019.4 --file qiime2-2019.4-py36-osx-conda.yml

You can go to the top left-hand corner of the qiime 2 website and change the docs version that is displayed. So you can see right now it is showing the latest docs by default, but we can select an earlier version:

We can change the docs version displayed to find the installation instructions for earlier versions of QIIME 2. Doing so, we can find the installation instructions for, say, version 2017.12:

wget https://data.qiime2.org/distro/core/qiime2-2017.12-py35-osx-conda.yml
conda env create -n qiime2-2017.12 --file qiime2-2017.12-py35-osx-conda.yml

We keep these “environment files” around persistently so that it is possible to replicate old versions of QIIME 2 on your system.

Now compare the two installation instructions shown above; note that the name of the conda environment created is set with the -n flag; so the first environment we created is called qiime2-2019.4 and the second is qiime2-2017.12. You can install both of these environments and switch back and forth like so:

source activate qiime2-2019.4
source activate qiime2-2017.12

(you can even open two terminals, activate one version in the first and the other version in the second, so you can run both versions simultaneously if you like.)

1 Like