Exporting with Taxonomy Error

Hello,

I have run into a slight issue with exporting my data after running the pipeline. Normally the .tsv file with taxonomy that I have been getting in previous runs doesn't seem to want to generate now. The error that is generate is seen below:

And the code that I ran to generate this error is:

qiime tools export --input-path DADA2/Fungi-Table-dada2-208-187-NS.qza --output-path DADA2/ExportedRaw
cd DADA2/ExportedRaw
mv feature-table.biom Fungi-Table-Filtered.biom
biom convert -i Fungi-Table-Filtered.biom -o Fungi-Table-Filtered.tsv --to-tsv
biom head -i Fungi-Table-Filtered.tsv

cd ..
cd ..

cd Taxonomy

qiime tools export --input-path Fungal-Taxonomy.qza --output-path ./
cp taxonomy.tsv biom-taxonomy.tsv

cd ..

biom add-metadata -i DADA2/ExportedRaw/Fungi-Table-Filtered.biom -o DADA2/ExportedRaw/Fungi-Table-With-Taxonomy.biom --observation-metadata-fp Taxonomy/biom-taxonomy.tsv --sc-separated taxonomy --observation-header OTUID,taxonomy,confidence
biom convert -i DADA2/ExportedRaw/Fungi-Table-With-Taxonomy.biom -o DADA2/ExportedRaw/Fungi-Table-With-Taxonomy.tsv -m Fungal-Metadata-BLM.tsv --to-tsv --header-key taxonomy

I have searched the forums to try to find this exact error and though enlightening nothing tended to work. With Biom add metadata problem, being the closest to the issue and sadly not fixing it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you all in advance!

Hi @Jrand, welcome to :qiime2:

Try following the procedure outlined here. It appears there are some minor differences with your biom add-metadata command:

and here:

You can also checkout more details about biom convert.

Thank you Mike for your response!

I looked through the links, and from the first link I have found that the only difference in my problem code segment:

biom convert -i DADA2/ExportedRaw/Fungi-Table-With-Taxonomy.biom -o DADA2/ExportedRaw/Fungi-Table-With-Taxonomy.tsv -m Fungal-Metadata-BLM.tsv --to-tsv --header-key taxonomy

is the addition of my metadata with -m Fungal-Metadata-BLM.tsv. The rest of the code generates the needed files except for this last chunk of code. So I checked the second link. Sadly this is the same attempted fix I did before posting from that other post, Biom add metadata problem, and it didn’t fix the issue either.

Again thank you so much for your help, I am still relatively new to all this so I am likely overlooking something obvious.

Hi @Jrand,

I am not sure if this is the issue, but the command I referred to was:

Is there a reason why you are adding --observation-header OTUID,taxonomy,confidence? You should not need this addition if you are editing the headers, as described in both links. I am wondering if this causes things to fail later on?

Not sure why -m Fungal-Metadata-BLM.tsv is being added to this command.

Also, then editing the taxonomy headers I usually replace:
Feature ID Taxon Confidence
with this:
#OTUID taxonomy confidence

Perhaps you can share your qza files? Hopefully, someone smarter than I will spot the issue. :slight_smile:

-Mike

Well simply removing -m Fungal-Metadata-BLM.tsv from the script allowed for the Fungi-Table-With-Taxonomy.tsv file to generate properly, and from the looks of it seems okay.

Thank you very much @SoilRotifer!

1 Like