Does demux apply any quality threshold to the index reads?

Hi @rrohwer and @colinbrislawn!

Yes — currently it does not support golay barcodes or mismatches, but error correction would be a great feature to add at some point (we have an open issue)

No

Thanks for including that paper! We had discussed that paper, and some others, this discussion:

so yes I have been considering implementing that method at some point but have no eta.

As far as I know it does not and this is a very good point, that low-quality base scores could lead to mis-mapped reads. There are 2 things to consider regarding this: 1) usually quality is good in the barcode reads (there are exceptions!), and quality does not drop off in the same way that it does for very long reads; 2) usually the barcoding schemes require 2+ differences between each barcode so that a single error will by default cause that read to be dropped. It will require 2 errors for a barcode to incorrectly map, and 2 errors in that short read will be very rare.

But I will let @gregcaporaso chime in if he has anything to add regarding the philosophy behind the design of demux.

2 Likes