Visual Studio for QIIME2 (Windows 11/ Linux)

Hello to everybody!
I'm very new in bioinformatis and I'm starting now to use QIIME2.
I've already installed QIIME 2 on my pc (Windows 11) through the installation of WSL, than installing Miniconda and after that I installed QIIME2.
Now I'm starting to learn the programm and all of its features, but I was wondering if I can install Visual Studio to make my experience easier (my supervisor showed to me that he always use QIIME2 through Visual Studio but I searched for download it and I didn't find anything for the last version of QIIME2. Maybe he use a previous version of the programme that it's compatible with Visual Studio.)
So, my question for you is this, is there a way to install a Virtual Machine that could help me starting with QIIME2? I think that it's very hard to run all the command programming, it could be helpful for me a virtual machine.
Thanks you for the space
Best,
Giuseppe

I tried to install q2studio through QIIME 2 Studio (q2studio) — QIIME 2 2022.8.3 documentation, but at when I was installing it it was showed an error, I'll attach here the txt that is generated from:

0 info it worked if it ends with ok
1 verbose cli [ '/home/giuseppe_galiano/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2022.8/bin/node',
1 verbose cli '/home/giuseppe_galiano/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2022.8/bin/npm',
1 verbose cli 'run',
1 verbose cli 'build' ]
2 info using [email protected]
3 info using [email protected]
4 verbose stack Error: Invalid version: "2022.8"
4 verbose stack at Object.fixVersionField (/home/giuseppe_galiano/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2022.8/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/normalize-package-data/lib/fixer.js:191:13)
4 verbose stack at /home/giuseppe_galiano/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2022.8/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/normalize-package-data/lib/normalize.js:32:38
4 verbose stack at Array.forEach (native)
4 verbose stack at normalize (/home/giuseppe_galiano/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2022.8/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/normalize-package-data/lib/normalize.js:31:15)
4 verbose stack at final (/home/giuseppe_galiano/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2022.8/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/read-package-json/read-json.js:349:5)
4 verbose stack at then (/home/giuseppe_galiano/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2022.8/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/read-package-json/read-json.js:124:5)
4 verbose stack at /home/giuseppe_galiano/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2022.8/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/read-package-json/read-json.js:243:12
4 verbose stack at /home/giuseppe_galiano/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2022.8/lib/node_modules/npm/node_modules/graceful-fs/graceful-fs.js:78:16
4 verbose stack at tryToString (fs.js:456:3)
4 verbose stack at FSReqWrap.readFileAfterClose [as oncomplete] (fs.js:443:12)
5 verbose cwd /home/giuseppe_galiano/q2studio-2022.8.0
6 error Linux 5.10.16.3-microsoft-standard-WSL2
7 error argv "/home/giuseppe_galiano/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2022.8/bin/node" "/home/giuseppe_galiano/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2022.8/bin/npm" "run" "build"
8 error node v6.11.2
9 error npm v3.10.10
10 error Invalid version: "2022.8"
11 error If you need help, you may report this error at:
11 error https://github.com/npm/npm/issues
12 verbose exit [ 1, true ]

Thanks you very much, hope that someone could help me

Hello @Giuseppe_Galiano,
q2-studio is no longer being maintained. If you would like user interface check out Galaxy: q2Galaxy - Galaxy Community Hub.

if you want a virtual machine we now provide qiime2 as a docker build: Installing QIIME 2 using a Virtual Machine — QIIME 2 2022.8.3 documentation

Lastly, I believe to use VS code and qiime2 that you would be using the Artifact API. Here is a tutorial for using that: Artifact API — QIIME 2 2022.8.3 documentation

Hope that helps, Let me know if you have any questions
:turtle:

1 Like

Thanks you so much! I will try, if I have any questions I won't hesitate to write you. Best

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.