There was an issue with loading the file tmx-mapping.csv as metadata

I am new to qiime2 although a long time user to qiime 1. Having difficulty with importing metadata file. I get this error:
There was an issue with loading the file tmx-mapping.csv as metadata:

Found unrecognized ID column name ‘sample-id,Sampling,Extraction’ while searching for header. The first column name in the header defines the ID column, and must be one of these values:

Case-insensitive: ‘feature id’, ‘feature-id’, ‘featureid’, ‘id’, ‘sample id’, ‘sample-id’, 'sampleid’

Case-sensitive: ‘#OTU ID’, ‘#OTUID’, ‘#Sample ID’, ‘#SampleID’, 'sample_name’

There may be more errors present in the metadata file. To get a full report, sample/feature metadata files can be validated with Keemei: https://keemei.qiime2.org

Find details on QIIME 2 metadata requirements here: https://docs.qiime2.org/2020.2/tutorials/metadata/

The metadata file (see below) was checked for errors with Keemei and found none.

sample-id,Sampling,Extraction
132006-rep1,Intersample,PowerSoil
132006-rep2,Intersample,PowerSoil
132006-rep3,Intersample,PowerSoil
132070,Intrasample,PowerSoil
132115,Intrasample,PowerSoil
132160,Intrasample,PowerSoil
132205,Intrasample,PowerSoil
132250,Intrasample,PowerSoil
132295,Intrasample,PowerSoil
132385,Intrasample,ZymoBIOMICS
132430,Intrasample,ZymoBIOMICS
132475,Intrasample,ZymoBIOMICS
132520,Intrasample,ZymoBIOMICS
132565,Intrasample,ZymoBIOMICS
132610,Intrasample,ZymoBIOMICS
132698,Intrasample,ZymoBIOMICS

tmx-mapping.csv (END)
Here are the permissions:
-rwxrwxrwx@ 1 raulcano staff 538B Jun 19 12:46 tmx-mapping.csv

How can I overcome this issue?

Hi @chauvell1,
Glad you’re finally giving QIIME 2 a try!
The error you are seeing is because you are providing a .csv file when you need to be providing a tab separated (tsv/txt) value file.
When saving your file off of google-sheets, save as .tsv and you should be good to go. This and all metadata requirements are covered in the metadata tutorial docs.
Happy Qiimin’!

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.