Same Family and Genus name assigned

Hi

I trained my own V3-V4 specific classifier using RESCRIPt from silva-138.1-ssu-nr99 and assign taxonomy using classify-sklearn but some of my features were assigned same name in family and genus level. I also tried with pretrained classifiers available in Qiime2 forum, but it also assigned the same name in family and genus level. RESCRIPt shed light on problem of missannotations in their “edit taxonomy” part. I don’t know whether this okay or I need to edit them. Can anybody suggest me what should I do or what's wrong going on here? The problem arises when I do genus level analysis after removing prefix like (f__, g__, s__) these names are suggesting family name of bacteria rather than genus name in my analysis.

Feature ID Taxon confidence
sq3;size=70124; d__Bacteria; p__Bacteroidota; c__Bacteroidia; o__Bacteroidales; f__Muribaculaceae; g__Muribaculaceae; s__uncultured_bacterium 0.99165266
sq10;size=45746; d__Bacteria; p__Bacteroidota; c__Bacteroidia; o__Bacteroidales; f__Muribaculaceae; g__Muribaculaceae; s__uncultured_Bacteroidales 0.80336385
sq123;size=7619; d__Bacteria; p__Firmicutes; c__Clostridia; o__Christensenellales; f__Christensenellaceae; g__Christensenellaceae; s__Christensenella_sp. 0.98729090
sq187;size=6953; d__Bacteria; p__Firmicutes; c__Bacilli; o__Erysipelotrichales; f__Erysipelotrichaceae; g__Erysipelotrichaceae; s__uncultured_bacterium 0.99999974
sq299;size=4950; d__Bacteria; p__Bacteroidota; c__Bacteroidia; o__Bacteroidales; f__Tannerellaceae; g__Tannerellaceae 0.78366247
sq353;size=3729; d__Bacteria; p__Firmicutes; c__Clostridia; o__Christensenellales; f__Christensenellaceae; g__Christensenellaceae; s__Christensenella_sp. 0.99927360
sq593;size=1526; d__Bacteria; p__Firmicutes; c__Bacilli; o__Erysipelotrichales; f__Erysipelatoclostridiaceae; g__Erysipelatoclostridiaceae; s__uncultured_bacterium 0.96620033
sq965size=403; d__Bacteria; p__Firmicutes; c__Clostridia; o__Oscillospirales; f__Ruminococcaceae; g__Ruminococcaceae; s__uncultured_bacterium 0.82221135

Thank you

Hi @microb123,

This is due to --p-rank-propagation being set by default, and is intended. You can disable if you'd like.

This option is explained in both the RESCRIPt tutorial under the the "Rank Propagation" drop-menu under the title "Getting SILVA data the easy way", and is further detailed within our manuscript.

3 Likes

Thank you @SoilRotifer for the explanation and prompt reply.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.