RESCRIPt: problem installing dependencies

Hi,

I am having issues installing the dependencies required for RESCRIPt within the Qiime2 environment.

I ran the following commands:

conda activate qiime2-2023.2
conda install -c conda-forge -c bioconda -c qiime2 -c 2023.5-tested -c defaults
xmltodict 'q2-types-genomics>2023.2' ncbi-datasets-pylib

But the installation fails with the following messages:

Collecting package metadata (current_repodata.json): done
Solving environment: failed with initial frozen solve. Retrying with flexible solve.
Solving environment: failed with repodata from current_repodata.json, will retry with next repodata source.
Collecting package metadata (repodata.json): done
Solving environment: ...

and then lists a whole load of package conflicts

I am running it on a M1 mac. I installed Qiime2 using the M1 version of Anaconda3 via the instructions given for MacOS (Apple Silicon).

Thanks for any insight!

2 Likes

Hi @aghudson ,

My guess is that other plugins or packages were installed in that environment, leading to the conflict. RESCRIPt should not have issues installing in a fresh 2023.2 environment (unless if some dependency packages were changed on the conda side, which could happen).

You should try installing in a fresh environment, or create a minimal RESCRIPt environment (following the instructions on GitHub) to avoid dependency conflicts with other plugins that you have installed.

Let me know if you still experience issues with a fresh environment or minimal environment! Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried the minimal install and I got a different error message. It appears to not be able to find a lot of neccessary packages. From the channels it looks in but finds nothing, could this be an issue with RESCRIPt and compatibility with the M1 Conda install?

"PackagesNotFoundError: The following packages are not available from current channels:

• q2cli
  • qiime2
  • q2-longitudinal
  • q2templates
  • q2-types-genomics[version='>2023.2']
  • q2-feature-classifier
  • q2-types

Current channels:

Hi @aghudson,

Are you sure your in the "minimal install" rescript environment. I often see the errors you've posted when I am accidentally trying to run the conda install ... commands in my base or other environment.

I just ran each of these separately on my M1 MacBook Pro, and everything worked as advertised

conda create -y -n rescript
conda activate rescript
conda install \
  -c conda-forge -c bioconda -c qiime2 -c https://packages.qiime2.org/qiime2/2023.5/tested/ -c defaults \
  qiime2 q2cli q2templates q2-types q2-longitudinal q2-feature-classifier 'q2-types-genomics>2023.2' \
  "pandas>=0.25.3" xmltodict ncbi-datasets-pylib

Hi @SoilRotifer,

Following your suggestion, I removed the old RESCRIPt minimal environment I had installed and tried reinstalling following the instructions from GitHub.

Unfortunately, I get the same error message as I posted previously

Hi @aghudson ,
It looks like you are having issues more broadly with conda and with installing QIIME 2 in general, not just RESCRIPt:

So let's close this topic and wait for the other to resolve. If you are still having issues with RESCRIPt after that other topic is solved, please feel free to re-open this. But for now I would consider these duplicate posts, as they almost certainly stem from the same issue.

Thanks!

Hi @Nicholas_Bokulich,

I think I have come up with a solution with the overall Qiime2 installation (please see my reply in the thread). I havenʻt tested it extensively, but the installation ran to completion and I can load the Qiime2 conda environment without any error messages. I obviously canʻt rule out that this is not still causing the ongoing issues with RESCRIPt though.

1 Like

Typing "qiime --help" reveals no issues. I just can't install RESCRIPt

Could this be an issue with the MacOS version I am using (13.2.1)?

Hi @aghudson ,
Just to clarify: are you getting the same error message as before, or has the message changed now that you have QIIME 2 working?

One more idea: you could try using mamba instead of conda, it tends to solve environments much faster than conda (or at least might give a clearer error message)

Hi @Nicholas_Bokulich,

For the minimal RESCRIPt install, I get the same error message posted above.

For the Qiime2 environment installation, I am not sure. I only see a portion of the error message in the terminal, which is just a long list of the packages that are showing conflicts. Many of the conflicts I can see in the latest attempt, seem to be related to R or R-bioconductor.

Hi @aghudson ,

We are not able to reproduce this error, unfortunately, including @SoilRotifer who is also using an M1 mac. So I think that your conda configs might still be messed up.

Did you try mamba?

1 Like

I basically gave up with my M1 mac and tried installing everything on an older Intel Macbook that has never had Qiime2 installed on it, though it has a version of Miniconda installed.

I followed the Qiime2 installation instructions for Intel Mac (version: qiime2-2023.2), including updating conda. Everything ran/installed ok. In the Qiime2 conda environment I had just created, I attempted to install RESCRIPt.

I ran the following command to install dependencies:

conda install -c conda-forge -c bioconda -c qiime2 -c 2023.5-tested -c defaults
xmltodict 'q2-types-genomics>2023.2' ncbi-datasets-pylib

Unfortunately, I get pretty much the same error message. The weird thing is that a lot of the listed package conflicts are the same for the old and new macs, which I wouldn't have thought would be the case if this was to do with my current conda configuration. I can send the portions of the error messages I was able to save for both computer installations, I am just not sure what the best method of doing that might be.

I get the feeling that most of the conflicts are to do with the q2-types-genomics package as I can install the other 2 dependencies separately, but I can't prove that.

Please try to install using mamba as suggested above.

2 Likes

Sorry, was reluctant to try yet another package manager and the potential conflicts that could occur.

However, I realized that mamba sort of sits on top and works with the conda environments.

I installed mamba via mambaforge and then tried following the RESCRIPt installation instructions. Mamba was much quicker and it worked!

I have no idea why it worked and conda didn't, but thanks for the advice

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.