qiime taxa filter-table removing wrong taxa

Hello,

I'm trying to filter my feature table based on a taxonomic list of desired bugs (taxa_to_keep_donors.txt (1.3 KB)).

I broke it down into two steps, first:
Include generally everything I want (but there were a few taxa left to remove):

qiime taxa filter-table \
--i-table ../../filtered_table_min2samp.qza \
--i-taxonomy ../../taxonomy_silva138-99.qzv.qza \
--p-include Rothia,Bacteroidales,Streptococcus,Ruminiclostridium,ventriosum_group,xylanophilum_group,Butyrivibrio,Lachnospiraceae_UCG-006,UCG_003,incertae_Sedis,Negativibacillus,Anaerovoracaceae,Proteus,Oscillospiraceae \
--o-filtered-table filtered_all_taxa_to_keep.qza

This provided a table that I expected (after collapsing, converting to relative frequency, exporting, and converting to txt)
rel_freq_keep_L6.txt (56.6 KB)
I then went to exclude the extra taxa:

--i-table filtered_all_taxa_to_keep.qza \
--p-exclude uncultured,UCG-005,DTU014,Colidextribacter,intestinimonas,NK4A214,Oscillibacter,Papillibacter,Pseudoflavonifractor \
--o-filtered-table filtered_lefse_taxa_temp.qza

This step is, unfortunately, removing taxa that don't match the exclusion terms (as far as I can tell).
rel_freq_lefse_taxa_L6_temp.txt (24.9 KB)

Taxa removed that I don't think meet the exclusion criteria:

d__Bacteria;p__Bacteroidota;c__Bacteroidia;o__Bacteroidales;f__Prevotellaceae;g__Prevotellaceae_NK3B31_group
d__Bacteria;p__Bacteroidota;c__Bacteroidia;o__Bacteroidales;f__Prevotellaceae;g__Prevotellaceae_UCG-001
d__Bacteria;p__Firmicutes;c__Clostridia;o__Clostridia;f__Hungateiclostridiaceae;g__Ruminiclostridium
d__Bacteria;p__Firmicutes;c__Clostridia;o__Lachnospirales;f__Lachnospiraceae;g__Butyrivibrio
d__Bacteria;p__Firmicutes;c__Clostridia;o__Oscillospirales;f__Oscillospiraceae;g__Oscillospira
d__Bacteria;p__Firmicutes;c__Clostridia;o__Oscillospirales;f__Oscillospiraceae;g__UCG-003
d__Bacteria;p__Firmicutes;c__Clostridia;o__Peptostreptococcales-Tissierellales;f__Anaerovoracaceae;g__Anaerovorax
d__Bacteria;p__Firmicutes;c__Clostridia;o__Peptostreptococcales-Tissierellales;f__Anaerovoracaceae;g__Family_XIII_UCG-001

I did a search on the first filtering table and each of the exclusion words only showed up once, so I'm not sure why the other taxa are being excluded.

What am I doing wrong in the exclusion step that these extra taxa are being removed?

Thanks!
Samantha

Hello!
I am totally not sure in my answer, and I do not know if it will work or not, but could you try to provide each of your patterns in ""?

Hi Timur,

Unfortunately, adding quotes around each pattern did not solve the issue. The table looks the same as the one posted before.

--i-table filtered_all_taxa_to_keep.qza \
--p-exclude "uncultured","UCG-005","DTU014","Colidextribacter","intestinimonas","NK4A214","
Oscillibacter","Papillibacter","Pseudoflavonifractor" \
--o-filtered-table filtered_lefse_taxa_temp_v2.qza

~Samantha

That's a mystery to me.
But, is it possible that all errorously filtered taxa in your taxonomy file contain one of the patterns at level 7? For example, "uncultured".

You are right, the missing taxa had "uncultured" at level 7. I was able to fix this by excluding g__uncultured instead of just uncultured.

Thanks for your help!
~Samantha

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.