qiime longitudinal linear-mixed-effects Killed

I have tried running qiime longitudinal linear-mixed-effects (conda installed 2023.2 on local machine, conda installed 2023.2 on cluster, and module on cluster 2021.4) and the job keeps getting killed after ~30 seconds with no other error message.

Local:

(qiime2-2023.2) % qiime longitudinal linear-mixed-effects \
    --i-table relative_frequency_table.qza \
    --m-metadata-file metadata_with_logratio.tsv \
    --p-state-column timepoint_number \
    --p-individual-id-column host_subject_id \
    --p-group-columns collection_timepoint,source \
    --p-random-effects plate_id,taxon_id \
    --p-metric Current_Natural_Log_Ratio \
    --o-visualization lr_LME_plot.qzv
**zsh: killed**

same if repeated with --verbose (no additional information given)

Cluster:

(qiime2-2023.2) -bash$ qiime longitudinal linear-mixed-effects --i-table relative_frequency_table.qza --m-metadata-file metadata_with_logratio.tsv --p-state-column timepoint_number --p-individual-id-column host_subject_id --p-group-columns collection_timepoint,source --p-random-effects plate_id,taxon_id --p-metric Current_Natural_Log_Ratio --o-visualization lr_LME_plot.qzv --verbose
**Killed**
(qiime2-2021.4) -bash$ qiime longitudinal linear-mixed-effects --i-table rarefied_relative_frequency_table.qza --m-metadata-file metadata_with_logratio.tsv --p-state-column timepoint_number --p-individual-id-column host_subject_id --p-group-columns collection_timepoint,source --p-random-effects plate_id,taxon_id --p-metric Current_Natural_Log_Ratio --o-visualization lr_LME_plot.qzv --verbose
**Killed**

I also tried minimizing the parameters, but no change.

Hello @callaban,

It's possible that you're running out of memory both on your computer and on the cluster. Do you generally run jobs right from the command line on your cluster? It may be configured to give you only a limited amount of resources that way.

1 Like

Okay, yes, it does seem like a memory issue - started with 20GB on a submitted SLURM job, got "out of memory" errors, and wound up needing 320GB before it actually ran to completion. Was not expecting that - Thank you!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.