Plugin error from demux error: CRC check failed 0xa98bf2ef != 0x4f0d7088**

The following command "qiime demux summarize" is not running. I am usuing the exact command as follows:

qiime demux summarize \
  --i-data artifacts/Reads.qza \
  --o-visualization artifacts/ReadQC.qzv

and I get this error

**Plugin error from demux:**

**CRC check failed 0xa98bf2ef != 0x4f0d7088**

**Debug info has been saved to /var/folders/yd/0_pp234d3jj_zk4k09v2h2jh0000gn/T/qiime2-q2cli-err-sucsvmty.log**

I have tried re-installing QIIME, cross checking meta-data file etc. But nothing works. Although I can see the Reads.qza file in the folder. Please advise.
Thanks in advance

The log file has this text

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Users/macair/opt/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2021.11/lib/python3.8/site-packages/q2cli/commands.py", line 339, in call
results = action(**arguments)
File "", line 2, in summarize
File "/Users/macair/opt/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2021.11/lib/python3.8/site-packages/qiime2/sdk/action.py", line 245, in bound_callable
outputs = self.callable_executor(scope, callable_args,
File "/Users/macair/opt/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2021.11/lib/python3.8/site-packages/qiime2/sdk/action.py", line 453, in callable_executor
ret_val = self._callable(output_dir=temp_dir, **view_args)
File "/Users/macair/opt/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2021.11/lib/python3.8/site-packages/q2_demux/_summarize/_visualizer.py", line 140, in summarize
for seq in _read_fastq_seqs(filename):
File "/Users/macair/opt/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2021.11/lib/python3.8/site-packages/q2_demux/_demux.py", line 56, in _read_fastq_seqs
for seq_header, seq, qual_header, qual in itertools.zip_longest(*[fh] * 4):
File "/Users/macair/opt/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2021.11/lib/python3.8/gzip.py", line 305, in read1
return self._buffer.read1(size)
File "/Users/macair/opt/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2021.11/lib/python3.8/_compression.py", line 68, in readinto
data = self.read(len(byte_view))
File "/Users/macair/opt/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2021.11/lib/python3.8/gzip.py", line 470, in read
self._read_eof()
File "/Users/macair/opt/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2021.11/lib/python3.8/gzip.py", line 516, in _read_eof
raise BadGzipFile("CRC check failed %s != %s" % (hex(crc32),
gzip.BadGzipFile: CRC check failed 0xa98bf2ef != 0x4f0d7088

Hi there @Muhammad_Arslan!

This error message is telling you that one of files in Reads.qza is corrupt. The per-sample sequences are stored in fastq.gz files, and these files keep track of their "signature" as a form of integrity verification. This error is letting you know that the signature of one of the files doesn't match the expected signature. This isn't super common, but my recommendation is to double-check that the transfer of files from your sequencing center to your local workstation didn't fail - perhaps you can just re-download the files?

Keep us posted. :qiime2:

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.