picrust2 placement option for QIIME2 Ver 2019.10

Hello @gmdouglas

I hope you are well.

I have a question about the q2-picrust2 version which you commit on Jan 23, 2020 [For QIIME2 Ver 2019.10]. What is the placement tool that is being used: is it the default EPA-NG? Because the q2-picrust2 plug-in did not have an input for this parameter.

I checked that in later versions you updated the placement tool option, but in the version I am using (2019.10), there is no such option in the _full_pipeline.py. So, I am a bit confused in why this is so. If you can please help me, that would be great. I should mention that I got all the outputs (KO, EC, Pathway), so the analysis worked well.

Thank you,
Anirban

Hey @anirban.mcgill,

Yes, prior to the most recent release (earlier this month) the only placement tool you could run with PICRUSt2 directly was EPA-NG, so that’s what it must have been.

Cheers,

Gavin

2 Likes

Thank you very much, @gmdouglas
I just want to say that your tutorial was excellent, and very easy to follow.

If you don’t mind, I have one last question: Is EPA-NG a good choice for environmental samples?

Thank you,
Anirban

2 Likes

No worries and good to hear! :slight_smile:

In general environmental samples will be harder to predict because microbes in those samples are often highly dissimilar to existing reference genomes. That being said, I would use EPA-NG over SEPP if you have sufficient computational resources.

Cheers,

Gavin

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.