PERMANOVA Plots( Y-axis) Interpretation

Hi all,
I am running the Pairwise permanova test.
The group significance plots show values on the y-axis greater than 1.
Given that the value of 1 is that 100% of all the taxa found in one sample (or groups of samples) was found in another; What does it mean when you have values greater than one.
Thank you in advance!

Please read the following before posting!

Is this post about a User Support Question? Those include questions about specific results while running QIIME 2, warnings observed while running a QIIME 2 command. Please do not post questions here that have to do with interpretation of results, general discussion, or technical support.

Before posting, please make sure you have the following information available, in order for us to help you in a timely manner:

• Have you searched for the problem on the forum? It is rare that we see a new question asked, so make sure you do your homework before asking for us to commit our time to helping you.
  • Have you reviewed the QIIME 2 Forum Glossary?
  • Version of QIIME 2 you are running, and how it is installed (e.g. Virtualbox, conda, etc.)
  • What is the exact command or commands you ran? Copy and paste please.
  • What is the exact error message, if applicable? If you didn't run the command with the --verbose flag, please re-run and copy-and-paste the results.

Hi @AHK - what beta diversity metric are you using when computing the beta group significance plots?

1 Like

I am using the follwing metrics bellow (note: XXX is the variable I am investigating)
qiime diversity beta-group-significance
--i-distance-matrix core-metrics-results/weighted_unifrac_distance_matrix.qza
--m-metadata-file metadata.tsv
--m-metadata-column XXX
--o-visualization core-metrics-results/weighted-unifrac-XXXX-significance.qzv
--p-pairwise

Thank you

1 Like

Hello @AHK,

Would you be willing to share the core-metrics-results/weighted_unifrac_distance_matrix.qza file with us? I know that metadata can be sensitive, but if you are willing to share the distances themselves, we can take a look to see if there's an issue with the calculation of the distances, or with the output visualization.

If you are OK with sharing the distances, you can post them in this thread or send me a Direct Message.

Thank you! :qiime2: :lizard:

2 Likes

Hi,
Thank you for getting back to me.
This file generated when I ran the whole dataset:
weighted_unifrac_distance_matrix.qza (5.2 MB)
This file generated when I ran a portion of the dataset:
[weighted_unifrac_pcoa_results.qza (218.8 KB)
Thank you!