PacBio DADA2-ccs plugin is losing lots of data

Howdy,
I ran DADA2-ccs plugin for PacBio sequences for Bac16S but I am losing a lot of reads in filtering step. Search:

sample-id
#q2:types
input
numeric
primer-removed
numeric
percentage of input primer-removed
numeric
filtered
numeric
percentage of input passed filter
numeric
denoised
numeric
non-chimeric
numeric
percentage of input non-chimeric
numeric
T1S1 29088 25021 86.02 17060 58.65 512 508 1.75
T1S1_2 63054 54970 87.18 38383 60.87 2060 2057 3.26
T1S2 50234 43689 86.97 30540 60.8 1596 1596 3.18
T1S2_2 70523 61689 87.47 41379 58.67 1861 1858 2.63
T1S3 69233 61022 88.14 41808 60.39 2184 2180 3.15

This is the code I ran:
#!/bin/bash

##NECESSARY JOB SPECIFICATIONS
#SBATCH --job-name=DADA2_ccs #Set the job name to "JobExample4"
#SBATCH --time=30:00:00 #Set the wall clock limit
#SBATCH --ntasks=8 #Request 1 task
#SBATCH --mem=95G #Request 2560MB (2.5GB) per node
#SBATCH --output=DADA2_ccs.%j #Send stdout/err to "Example4Out.[jobID]"

#First Executable Line

ml load Anaconda3
ml load QIIME2/2026.1-Amplicon

qiime dada2 denoise-ccs
--i-demultiplexed-seqs demux.qza
--p-min-len 1300
--p-max-len 1600
--p-max-ee 5
--p-front AGRGTTYGATYMTGGCTCAG
--p-adapter RGYTACCTTGTTACGACTT
--o-representative-sequences rep-seqs.qza
--o-denoising-stats denoising-stats.qza
--o-table table.qza
--p-n-threads 12

I have also tried different max-ee levels with little to no difference at all. This is my demux.qzv for bac 16S:


However, for ITS PacBio data, the denoising stat looks a lot better: Search:

sample-id
#q2:types
input
numeric
primer-removed
numeric
percentage of input primer-removed
numeric
filtered
numeric
percentage of input passed filter
numeric
denoised
numeric
non-chimeric
numeric
percentage of input non-chimeric
numeric
T1S1 36669 32754 89.32 26279 71.67 20914 17727 48.34
T1S1_2 62619 55118 88.02 43673 69.74 32901 27308 43.61
T1S2 40653 36193 89.03 29730 73.13 22792 20879 51.36
T1S2_2 42683 37769 88.49 29678 69.53 21376 20240 47.42
T1S3 39285 34841 88.69 27769 70.69 21030 19973 50.84
T1S3_2 51719 45597 88.16 36461 70.5 26836 24498 47.37

I am basically having this problem with bacterial data. Help me please!

Hello @Prajina-N!

Would you be able to track down a log file for one of these runs? I think we should see the number of unique sequences printed to stdout which may be helpful in finding the issue.

Hi there, I also encountered a similar issue with by PacBio ccs reads. See below.

The command I used:

============

qiime dada2 denoise-ccs \

--i-demultiplexed-seqs os_imported-seqs.qza \

--p-min-len 1000 \

--p-max-len 1600 \

--p-max-ee 2 \

--p-front "AGRGTTYGATYMTGGCTCAG" \

--p-adapter "RGYTACCTTGTTACGACTT" \

--p-n-threads 8 \

--p-pooling-method pseudo \

--o-table os_feature-table.qza \

--o-representative-sequences os_rep-seqs.qza \

--o-denoising-stats os_denoising-stats.qza \

=========

I see that you even used a higher max-ee value, will try to use a higher one on mine to see if that helps. Additionally, I even used 'indepedent' pooling method but still came up short.

Perhaps a question for everyone, can one still proceed with downstream analyses despite this significant loss of reads after filtering?

Hi ebolyen,
Thank you for replying. Please find the attached verbose log:


Hi Mukhari_R,
I tried multiple max error, like 2, 5 but it did not make much difference in the reads that passed the final filter.
I am wondering if that might be the sequence quality itself. I am not entirely sure how that could happen.

Low rates of successful denoising, which is where you are losing most of your 16S reads, can happen when there is little duplication in the data, either due to relatively high error rates (more of an issue with long reads) or very high levels of sample diversity (so even real biological sequences are only being observed a handful of times or less). But what is surprising is that you aren't seeing the same issue in your ITS sequences.

Were there any differences in the library preparation/sequencing of your 16S data versus your ITS data? For example, was Kinnex used for one and not the other? How long is the ITS region you are amplifying?

Hi Ben,
The lab said that they use same method for both ITS and 16S PacBio only the primers are different. Full 16S

F: AGRGTTYGATYMTGGCTCAG
R: RGYTACCTTGTTACGACTT

Full ITS

F: ACCWGCGGARGGATCATTA
R: TCCTGAGGGAAACTTCG