Microbiome Bioinformatics with QIIME 2 Workshop, June 12-14 2019, Statens Serum Institut, Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi Dear,
Thank you very much for sharing this information and it seems like a great opportunity.!
I am wondering that if someone has Windows OS in the laptop and currently use virtual box for QIIME2, will there be a problem to follow-up the workshop? Thanks.!

Best regards.!!!
Madhawa

Hi @mneranjan31 - no - attendees will not need to install QIIME 2 on their laptop to participate. Any laptop with Chrome or Firefox web browser is enough.

1 Like

hi @thermokarst, will there be any price differences for students? Thanks. Clara

Dear Matthew,
Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

Best Regards…!!!
Madhawa

1 Like

Hi @Clara, no, at this time it is a flat fee structure — $750 until May 3rd, then ticket prices will be at the “regular” rate of $900.

1 Like

An off-topic reply has been split into a new topic: Notification customization

Please keep replies on-topic in the future.

Hi! I’d be interested in the virtual workshop too! I think it would be a great tool for undergrad students who are interested in learning more about microbiomes and microbiome analysis!

2 Likes

Good morning,

I wondered if this course is suitable for beginners?

Many thanks,

Hollian

Yes, it is definitely suitable for beginners, though I suppose it depends what beginner means:

We assume that attendees will have at least a basic understanding of what a microbiome is and why they want to use QIIME 2 to analyze it. Attendees do not need to know how to use QIIME 2, and need not have analyzed microbiomes previously — we are going to cover all the basics! That said, the more background knowledge you have the better (as with learning anything).

We do not assume prior experience with bioinformatics, command line tools, or microbiology expertise. We do assume that attendees should have a basic level of computer literacy, e.g., how to open a web browser.

Day 1 covers the basics. We will have the opportunity to dive into more advanced topics on day 2 and day 3, so we try to make sure that this workshop has something for everyone: both beginner and advanced QIIME 2 users.

2 Likes

Aloha, Thanks so much for doing this and offering the workshop. Just wondering if there might be a list of places to stay that are near the location of the workshop? I assume the registration does not include this or food. :slight_smile: Thanks for any info.

2 Likes

Lodging recommendations are provided once you sign up! Light breakfast and lunch is included in the registration fee, as well as coffee :coffee:

1 Like

Aloha, thanks! any idea on price range? I am on a postdoc budget, and trying to figure out if I can afford to come.

I have not priced out the hotels but have been told that food and lodging in Copenhagen tend to be a bit expensive.

If that's out of your budget, I am sure we could be easily coaxed into holding a workshop in Hawaii :wink:

4 Likes

Aloha, Ha! Yes, that would be lovely. I am in Edinburgh right now though! And missing home. :slight_smile: But will keep that in mind…hope to see you in Copenhagen and will do my best to join you guys. Cheers Becks

4 Likes

Hi! I have several questions about payment.
Do you send a invoice aftrer payment on email?
Can you write a invoice with university data instead my data?
Do i have to do the payment immediately after registration?

Many thanks,
Tomasz

Hi @Tommy! The answer is “yes” to all three questions! Please DM me with any further questions, that way we don’t spam the rest of the followers of this thread. Thanks!

Hello
I am currently a graduate student at Florida International University. This workshop will be very helpful to gather knowledge from the experts and also guide me on how to analyze the data.
I would like to know the following:

• the procedure to apply for a travel grant.
  • total allowance needed (registration + accommodation) - Is there any grant available for this?
  • Documents needed to be submitted?
  • Will the training be also done online?

I would be looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks

Hi @fpaul015!

Unfortunately we are not able to offer any scholarships for this workshop.

The registration is currently $750 US per ticket, and will increase to $900 after May 3rd. You are responsible for making your own lodging arrangements.

To us? Nothing in particular. You might need travel visas, but we are not able to provide that service at this time.

No, it is an in-person class.

Hope that helps, and hope to see you there! :qiime2:

1 Like

I want to attend this with my supervisor, is it possible to allow him to sit through some sessions without paying the registration fee?

1 Like

Hi @anethdavid!

No, we have a very limited number of seats and can only accommodate registered attendees. Thanks!

2 Likes