Metadata error - Plugin error from diversity

Hi all,

I apologize to ask this, as I have seen many topics about it but none of them works. But it has to be easy…

I would like to run this command:
qiime diversity core-metrics --i-table nosingletons-taxafiltered-rarefied-table.qza --p-sampling-depth 1080 --m-metadata-file metadata.tsv --output-dir 16S-bacteria-core-metrics

But I receive the error message:
Plugin error from diversity:

None of the sample identifiers match between the metadata and the coordinates. Verify that you are using metadata and coordinates corresponding to the same dataset.

Debug info has been saved to /var/folders/h3/vt0n6y2534b35ss3dzf_037m0000gn/T/qiime2-q2cli-err-s0n3omsg.log

I verified my metadata file and the sample ID column is named “sample_name”.
I was wondering how can we verify that this columns corresponds to the one of our FeatureTable[Frequency]?

Any insight would be great

Hi @ElifKardas ,

The error message is complaining that the actual values of your sample_name column in your metadata file don’t match any of the sample names in your table.
Can you visualize your feature-table and check the sampe names there with your metadata file? That should give us a clue as what’s going on.

ex:

qiime feature-table summarize \
  --i-table table.qza \
  --o-visualization table.qzv
1 Like

Thank you so much!
I visualized it, and indeed it included the ID of the qiita study in front of the name of the sample. For example a sample called CAF231 became 14567.CAF231 … I don’t know why it changes the sample names like that.

Thanks again, the command ran very well now.

1 Like

Hi @ElifKardas ,
Glad it is sorted!
And yes that is an intended behavior by Qiita because Qiita is designed to allow for easy metanalysis by combining samples from multiple studies. You can imagine how many studies out there name their samples S1, S2 or HC1, HC2…etc. Tagging on the run prefix ensures that you don’t end up with duplicate sample-names from different studies.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.