Metadata category parsing error

Sorry to ask for help again, but I have been running qiime2 on my 6 runs, and the first 4 are demultiplexing fine, but on the last two I get an error.

I am working on a cluster with >30 cores available, and I have one terminal open for each run.

Thank you.

My code right now is this:

(qiime2) ekg43@thompson:~/Run5$ ls
barcodes.fastq.gz raw-sequences5.qza sequences.fastq.gz
(qiime2) ekg43@thompson:~/Run5$ qiime demux emp --i-seqs raw-sequences5.qza --m-barcodes-file /home/ekg43/maps/QiimeMapBTIrun5.txt --m-barcodes-category BarcodeSequence --o-per-sample-sequences /home/ekg43/Run5/demux5

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/ekg43/miniconda2/envs/qiime2/bin/qiime”, line 6, in
sys.exit(q2cli.main.qiime())
File “/home/ekg43/miniconda2/envs/qiime2/lib/python3.5/site-packages/click/core.py”, line 716, in call
return self.main(*args, **kwargs)
File “/home/ekg43/miniconda2/envs/qiime2/lib/python3.5/site-packages/click/core.py”, line 696, in main
rv = self.invoke(ctx)
File “/home/ekg43/miniconda2/envs/qiime2/lib/python3.5/site-packages/click/core.py”, line 1060, in invoke
return _process_result(sub_ctx.command.invoke(sub_ctx))
File “/home/ekg43/miniconda2/envs/qiime2/lib/python3.5/site-packages/click/core.py”, line 1060, in invoke
return _process_result(sub_ctx.command.invoke(sub_ctx))
File “/home/ekg43/miniconda2/envs/qiime2/lib/python3.5/site-packages/click/core.py”, line 889, in invoke
return ctx.invoke(self.callback, **ctx.params)
File “/home/ekg43/miniconda2/envs/qiime2/lib/python3.5/site-packages/click/core.py”, line 534, in invoke
return callback(*args, **kwargs)
File “/home/ekg43/miniconda2/envs/qiime2/lib/python3.5/site-packages/q2cli-0.0.6-py3.5.egg/q2cli/commands.py”, line 210, in call
File “”, line 2, in emp
File “/home/ekg43/miniconda2/envs/qiime2/lib/python3.5/site-packages/qiime-2.0.6-py3.5.egg/qiime/core/callable.py”, line 227, in callable_wrapper
output_types, provenance)
File “/home/ekg43/miniconda2/envs/qiime2/lib/python3.5/site-packages/qiime-2.0.6-py3.5.egg/qiime/core/callable.py”, line 328, in callable_executor
output_views = callable(**view_args)
File “/home/ekg43/miniconda2/envs/qiime2/lib/python3.5/site-packages/q2_demux-0.0.6-py3.5.egg/q2_demux/_demux.py”, line 149, in emp
TypeError: object of type ‘float’ has no len()

Hey @ErikaGanda,

From looking at the stack trace and the corresponding code, it looks like there may be something wrong with the metadata category (or the metadata file). For whatever reason it’s reading what should be barcode sequences as numbers. I would check your /home/ekg43/maps/QiimeMapBTIrun5.txt file and make sure that there is a column named BarcodeSequence.

Thank you @ebolyen !

I did check my file and it was exactly the same column names as the other 4 maps. I just made a new one (pasted my sample names) based on the file that worked and now it is running. Maybe a extra space somewhere that I couldn’t see… Go figure!

Thanks, and be sure I will bug again =)