Position: Research Specialist - Viral Genomics and Evolution
The Pathogen and Microbiome Institute (PMI) at Northern Arizona University seeks a Research Technician to perform basic and applied research focused on viral genomics and evolution. The top candidates for this position should be highly motivated and have experience with viral and cell culture, molecular genetic analyses, including RNA/DNA isolation, PCR/qPCR, gel electrophoresis, next-generation sequencing, and the ability to work with viruses under biosafety level 2 (BSL2) conditions. There is a possibility of future work in the PMI BSL3 laboratory that would involve handling viral pathogens such as Rift Valley fever virus, Oropouche virus and Western equine encephalitis virus. Extra emphasis will be given to candidates with command line scripting experience, though this is not a requirement.
Primary duties will include:
- Maintaining cell cultures
- Passaging viruses
- Molecular cloning
- PCR/qPCR assay development and validation
- Library preparation for next generation sequencing, including Illumina, PacBio and Oxford Nanopore platforms
- Working under BSL2 conditions, with the possibility of future work under BSL3 conditions.
- Working both independently and in a team-based environment
- Laboratory management and maintenance of shared reagent stocks
- Working safely with potentially hazardous materials, such as laboratory chemicals and disease-causing organisms
Opportunities will also be available for command line scripting and data analysis.
Northern Arizona University is located in Flagstaff, AZ, a beautiful mountain town with a surprisingly vibrant restaurant scene. Located a little over an hour from the Grand Canyon and ~45 min from Sedona, Flagstaff is a hiker’s paradise. In fact, the city of Flagstaff operates more than 50 miles of unpaved trails and there are, on average, 266 sunny days per year with which to enjoy them. At 7000 ft in elevation, Flagstaff experiences all four seasons, but the summers are mild and, in the winter, you can be on the slopes within 30 min!
For additional information and to apply: