issue with loading the file sample-metadata.tsv as metadata from "Moving Pictures" tutorial

Dear all,
I am using qiime2 and I am new to qiime (therefore I am doing the tutorial “Moving Pictures”).
I am blocked with the following command
qiime demux emp-single
–i-seqs emp-single-end-sequences.qza
–m-barcodes-file sample-metadata.tsv
–m-barcodes-column barcode-sequence
–o-per-sample-sequences demux.qza
–o-error-correction-details demux-details.qza

getting
There was an issue with loading the file sample-metadata.tsv as metadata:

Metadata file path doesn’t exist, or the path points to something other than a file. Please check that the path exists, has read permissions, and points to a regular file (not a directory): sample-metadata.tsv

There may be more errors present in the metadata file. To get a full report, sample/feature metadata files can be validated with Keemei: https://keemei.qiime2.org

Find details on QIIME 2 metadata requirements here: https://docs.qiime2.org/2020.2/tutorials/metadata/

the metadata file is the one downloaded from the tutorial where it says that the file contains errors but when I open the file with Keemei there are no errors…
It would be helpful to have the file without errors to be able to compare… because Keemei does not see any errors and qiime does not like the file.
maybe somebody can help
all the best

Hi @rotifer,

It looks like the sample metadata file in the moving pictures tutorial might actually be named sample_metadata.tsv (note the _, not a -, in the filename).

Could you try running ls sample_metadata.tsv? If that command succeeds, you should be able to rename the metadata file to sample-metadata.tsv (by running mv sample_metadata.tsv sample-metadata.tsv) and then rerun the qiime demux emp-single command.

Keep us posted! :qiime2:

1 Like

Hi,
your “ls” gave the right hint, what a stupid error I made, I have in the wrong folder…
many thanks for your fast reply!!!

1 Like

No problem! Believe me, these sorts of errors happen to all of us at some point :slight_smile:

Please enjoy using QIIME 2, and feel free to open another thread if you have any other questions that come up!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.