Installation issues with WSL

I have used qiime2 with my subsystem before and it has worked, and I am trying to install the newest version and I keep getting the following error.

wget https://data.qiime2.org/distro/amplicon/qiime2-amplicon-2023.9-py38-linux-conda.yml
--2024-03-03 15:34:32-- https://data.qiime2.org/distro/amplicon/qiime2-amplicon-2023.9-py38-linux-conda.yml
Resolving data.qiime2.org (data.qiime2.org)... 54.200.1.12
Connecting to data.qiime2.org (data.qiime2.org)|54.200.1.12|:443... connected.
ERROR: cannot verify data.qiime2.org's certificate, issued by ‘CN=Sectigo RSA Domain Validation Secure Server CA,O=Sectigo Limited,L=Salford,ST=Greater Manchester,C=GB’:
** Issued certificate has expired.**
To connect to data.qiime2.org insecurely, use `--no-check-certificate'.

I have tried using the --no-check-certificate and it is still not working and I am starting to get worried about security issues. Please help.

5 Likes

I am using a native fresh Ubuntu installation but found the same issue. Thanks.

2 Likes

I believe qiime needs to renew something bc even trying to download classifiers gives errors about expired licenses.

I am also suffering with same issue, even I get qiime2-amplicon-2024.2-py38-osx-conda.yml, with --no-check-certificate, I still got error with next command.

XXXXmynameXXXXX $ CONDA_SUBDIR=osx-64 conda env create -n qiime2-amplicon-2024.2 --file qiime2-amplicon-2024.2-py38-osx-conda.yml
Channels:

• https://packages.qiime2.org/qiime2/2024.2/amplicon/released
  • bioconda
  • conda-forge
  • defaults
    Platform: osx-64
    Collecting package metadata (repodata.json): \ Retrying (Retry(total=2, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'SSLError(SSLCertVerificationError(1, '[SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed: certificate has expired (_ssl.c:1002)'))': /qiime2/2024.2/amplicon/released/noarch/repodata.json.zst

| Retrying (Retry(total=2, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'SSLError(SSLCertVerificationError(1, '[SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed: certificate has expired (_ssl.c:1002)'))': /qiime2/2024.2/amplicon/released/osx-64/repodata.json.zst

/ Retrying (Retry(total=1, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'SSLError(SSLCertVerificationError(1, '[SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed: certificate has expired (_ssl.c:1002)'))': /qiime2/2024.2/amplicon/released/noarch/repodata.json.zst

Retrying (Retry(total=1, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'SSLError(SSLCertVerificationError(1, '[SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed: certificate has expired (_ssl.c:1002)'))': /qiime2/2024.2/amplicon/released/osx-64/repodata.json.zst

• Retrying (Retry(total=0, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'SSLError(SSLCertVerificationError(1, '[SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed: certificate has expired (_ssl.c:1002)'))': /qiime2/2024.2/amplicon/released/noarch/repodata.json.zst

Retrying (Retry(total=0, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after connection broken by 'SSLError(SSLCertVerificationError(1, '[SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed: certificate has expired (_ssl.c:1002)'))': /qiime2/2024.2/amplicon/released/osx-64/repodata.json.zst

failed

CondaSSLError: Encountered an SSL error. Most likely a certificate verification issue.

Exception: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='packages.qiime2.org', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /qiime2/2024.2/amplicon/released/osx-64/repodata.json.zst (Caused by SSLError(SSLCertVerificationError(1, '[SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed: certificate has expired (_ssl.c:1002)')))

Checking in from MacOS here. My Intel-based device didn't have issues until today; yesterday was totally fine.

Any updates on when the certificate will be renewed? I have several wget statements for data.qiime2.org files in a pipeline, so --no-check-certificate is not the cleanest solution for me.

Hi all,

There were some hiccups on our end regarding SSL certificates (obviously). I believe that things are working again, and I was just able to download and install the both the 2024.2 amplicon and shotgun distributions. Give it a try again and let us know if you're still experiencing the issue.

5 Likes

Thanks for your speedy response! It's back to smooth sailing on my end :+1:

2 Likes

Thank you for quick responses. I finally success installing without errors!

1 Like

Fixed. Thanks for the help!

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.