import demultiplexed fasta files into Qiime2

I have 24 fasta files for my 24 samples. I was wondering if it is possible and how to import the files into QIIME2 to generate a feature table and a feature sequence file. Thanks.

Hello @eDNA,

This section of the docs will be useful.

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for your help. It seems my sequences cannot be imported according to that section.

Other FASTA formats like FASTA files with differently formatted sequence headers or per-sample demultiplexed FASTA files (i.e. one FASTA file per sample) are not currently supported.

@eDNA,

Would you mind sharing one of these files or describing its structure? It may be possible to reformat them into a structure that qiime accepts.

1 Like

One of my files is attached.
I7_05_reads-Bivalvia.txt (187.3 KB)

Should I edit the header for each file, combine all the files into one and then Import into Qiime2?
Would it work if I change the header for example, from ">A01433:283:HFLV7DSX5:4:1204:9706:34585" to ">I7_05 A01433:283:HFLV7DSX5:4:1204:9706:34585"?

Hello @eDNA,

From the docs:

QIIME 2 currently supports importing the QIIME 1 seqs.fna file format, which consists of a single FASTA file with exactly two lines per record: header and sequence. Each sequence must span exactly one line and cannot be split across multiple lines. The ID in each header must follow the format <sample-id>_<seq-id> . <sample-id> is the identifier of the sample the sequence belongs to, and <seq-id> is an identifier for the sequence within its sample.

So as long as you create one fasta file, with each sequence annotated with both the sample that it belongs to and a unique sequence identifier, you will be good to go.

Would it work if I change the header for example, from ">A01433:283:HFLV7DSX5:4:1204:9706:34585" to ">I7_05 A01433:283:HFLV7DSX5:4:1204:9706:34585"?

Almost. What should work is: l7_05_<sequence identifier> <everything else...>, and you repeat this pattern for each different file (sample). For the sequence identifier part it seems like you can use the current fasta headers that you have.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.