How to collapse Taxa bar plot in qiime version 2019.10?

Hi, everyone

I am completely new to QIIME 2 so I apologize if this question has an obvious answer,I m doing the taxonomy analysis with qiime2 version 2019.10,
The taxa bar plots represents all the samples (24), but the 24 samples actually are only 8 samples and its replicates.
And I want to collapse the total 12 samples that the plot shows in to the 8 different samples that actually exists.

I have tried with this command

qiime feature-table group

--i-table table.qza

--m-metadata-file metadata.tsv

--m-metadata-column ??????

--p-axis sample

--p-mode mean-ceiling

--o-grouped-table grouped-table.qza

But I don’t know what to put in –m-metadata-column

Here I upload the metadata file and the sample that I want to collect presented in the red circle

1 Like

Good morning @ilhem,

Welcome to the Qiime 2 forums! :qiime2:

I think you are on the right track. qiime feature-table group is the perfect plugin to merge technical replicates.

In order to get the grouping you showed in red, I would make a new metadata column, maybe called sample-id-no-rep

sample-id sample-id-no-rep
sample5 sample5
sample51 sample5
sample52 sample5
sample6 sample6
sample61 sample6
sample62 sample6
... ...
sample163 sample16

This new column just just the same as sample-id, but now it no longer includes the replicate suffix. Once you pass this into the --m-metadata-column, samples with the same id prefix will be merged.

Let me know if that works OK for you!

Colin
P.S. Are these sequencing replicates or biological replicates? I like to keep my biological replicates separate because it lets me assess variation, but this choice is up to you.

2 Likes

Hi
thank you for your reply :slightly_smiling_face:
I have made new metadata

with the instruction that you give me and I run the following command and I receive the grouped-sample-no-rep-table.qza

qiime feature-table group

--i-table table.qza

--m-metadata-file metadatanorep

--m-metadata-column sample-id-no-rep

--p-axis sample

--p-mode mean-ceiling

--o-grouped-table grouped-sample-no-rep-table.qza

But when I try to summarize the table with the following command i get this error error-1|690x388

[quote="colinbrislawn, post:2, topic:14874"]
P.S. Are these sequencing replicates or biological replicates? I like to keep my biological replicates separate because it lets me assess variation, but this choice is up to you.
[/quote]they are biological replicate from each sample ,yes i will keep them seperate but just to check

Looks like your table was groups successfully!

When you group a table, the grouping values become the new sample IDs, so the old metadata does not match. To fix this:

Nice! :smiley_cat:

Let us know if you have any more questions, or feel free to open up a new thread!
Colin

1 Like

Thanks, it was the solution :v:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.