Error when using q2-demux

Hi, I am having a similar error while trying to run Demux, however for some datasets I still get the Demux.qza file output, which I can then use downstream for Dada2 etc.

There is one for which it is not working (demux does not give me the demux.qza output), so I will have a go at using the solution posted here still (thanks!), I was just wondering if I am safe to continue with the analysis on the demux outputs I have managed to get, despite the fact I have gotten this error?

When I ran these I submitted them to our cluster, and the error discussed above appears in the error file output. I do not know if this would have come up had I ran demux in my terminal using --verbose

Hi @Sam_Prudence!

Can you please provide the following information:

• Version of QIIME 2 you are using
  • The exact command run (copy and paste)
  • The full error message produced when run with --verbose

We need a little more info before we can say for sure.

In theory everything that is in the log should also show up in --verbose mode, but, we need to see what commands you ran to be sure.

Thanks! :qiime2:

Hi @thermokarst,

Thanks for getting back to me!

I have actually managed to get around this issue now, I took some advice I found in another thread and re-downloaded those datasets from BaseSpace, this didn’t appear to make a difference, but when I also removed --p-rev-comp-mapping-barcodes, demux worked correctly.

I am working through this on my institutes high performance computing cluster, but submitting the command as a script (I have multiple datasets so this lets me analyse multiple simultaneously). I decided to also contact the team who run the HPC, as someone mentioned this can be an installation issue. It turns out, our HPC environment uses a bash script for command submission, and apparently this was conflicting with the python environment used by qiime2, resulting in this error message? This is way beyond my area of expertese so I have no idea how much sense this makes, especially as I have no problem submitting scripts for Dada2 or any of the classifier training & assignment steps. Anyway they reccomended I run this command live in my terminal, and in combonation with the previously mentioned changes, this worked!

I feel like the python error message may have been a red herring in my case (as I only saw this in the error output given every time you submit a command to the HPC as a script), and it is more likely that re-downloading the data or --p-rev-comp-mapping-barcodes rectified the issue?
Thanks again for your help anyway! Hopefully this can be of use to someone

Thanks for following up, @Sam_Prudence! I can't really comment, since we still don't know what the error was and what you were trying to run when it errored. It would be very helpful for future readers (and us mods) if you followed up on this part of my requests:

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @thermokarst, sure thing happy to provide thos details (sorry for the time it has taken for me to respond!)

I am runing qiime2 2019.7

The code I sibmitted to our HPC (which did not work) was as follows

qiime demux emp-paired --m-barcodes-file sample-metadata.tsv --m-barcodes-column BarcodeSequence --i-seqs emp-paired-end-sequences.qza --o-per-sample-sequences demux --o-error-correction-details error --p-rev-comp-mapping-barcodes --p-no-golay-error-correction

and the error message given by the clusters error file output was as follows

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/gpfs/software/python/anaconda/2019.3/3.7/envs/qiime2-2019.7/bin/qiime", line 11, in <module>
    sys.exit(qiime())
  File "/gpfs/software/python/anaconda/2019.3/3.7/envs/qiime2-2019.7/lib/python3.6/site-packages/click/core.py", line 764, in __call__
    return self.main(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/gpfs/software/python/anaconda/2019.3/3.7/envs/qiime2-2019.7/lib/python3.6/site-packages/click/core.py", line 696, in main
    _verify_python3_env()
  File "/gpfs/software/python/anaconda/2019.3/3.7/envs/qiime2-2019.7/lib/python3.6/site-packages/click/_unicodefun.py", line 124, in _verify_python3_env
    ' mitigation steps.' + extra
RuntimeError: Click will abort further execution because Python 3 was configured to use ASCII as encoding for the environment. Consult https://click.palletsprojects.com/en/7.x/python3/ for mitigation steps.

This system lists a couple of UTF-8 supporting locales that
you can pick from.  The following suitable locales were
discovered: aa_DJ.utf8, aa_ER.utf8, aa_ET.utf8, af_ZA.utf8, am_ET.utf8, an_ES.utf8, ar_AE.utf8, ar_BH.utf8, ar_DZ.utf8, ar_EG.utf8, ar_IN.utf8, ar_IQ.utf8, ar_JO.utf8, ar_KW.utf8, ar_LB.utf8, ar_LY.utf8, ar_MA.utf8, ar_OM.utf8, ar_QA.utf8, ar_SA.utf8, ar_SD.utf8, ar_SY.utf8, ar_TN.utf8, ar_YE.utf8, as_IN.utf8, ast_ES.utf8, az_AZ.utf8, be_BY.utf8, ber_DZ.utf8, ber_MA.utf8, bg_BG.utf8, bn_BD.utf8, bn_IN.utf8, bo_CN.utf8, bo_IN.utf8, br_FR.utf8, bs_BA.utf8, byn_ER.utf8, ca_AD.utf8, ca_ES.utf8, ca_FR.utf8, ca_IT.utf8, crh_UA.utf8, cs_CZ.utf8, csb_PL.utf8, cv_RU.utf8, cy_GB.utf8, da_DK.utf8, de_AT.utf8, de_BE.utf8, de_CH.utf8, de_DE.utf8, de_LU.utf8, dv_MV.utf8, dz_BT.utf8, el_CY.utf8, el_GR.utf8, en_AG.utf8, en_AU.utf8, en_BW.utf8, en_CA.utf8, en_DK.utf8, en_GB.utf8, en_HK.utf8, en_IE.utf8, en_IN.utf8, en_NG.utf8, en_NZ.utf8, en_PH.utf8, en_SG.utf8, en_US.utf8, en_ZA.utf8, en_ZW.utf8, es_AR.utf8, es_BO.utf8, es_CL.utf8, es_CO.utf8, es_CR.utf8, es_DO.utf8, es_EC.utf8, es_ES.utf8, es_GT.utf8, es_HN.utf8, es_MX.utf8, es_NI.utf8, es_PA.utf8, es_PE.utf8, es_PR.utf8, es_PY.utf8, es_SV.utf8, es_US.utf8, es_UY.utf8, es_VE.utf8, et_EE.utf8, eu_ES.utf8, fa_IR.utf8, fi_FI.utf8, fil_PH.utf8, fo_FO.utf8, fr_BE.utf8, fr_CA.utf8, fr_CH.utf8, fr_FR.utf8, fr_LU.utf8, fur_IT.utf8, fy_DE.utf8, fy_NL.utf8, ga_IE.utf8, gd_GB.utf8, gez_ER.utf8, gez_ET.utf8, gl_ES.utf8, gu_IN.utf8, gv_GB.utf8, ha_NG.utf8, he_IL.utf8, hi_IN.utf8, hne_IN.utf8, hr_HR.utf8, hsb_DE.utf8, ht_HT.utf8, hu_HU.utf8, hy_AM.utf8, id_ID.utf8, ig_NG.utf8, ik_CA.utf8, is_IS.utf8, it_CH.utf8, it_IT.utf8, iu_CA.utf8, iw_IL.utf8, ja_JP.utf8, ka_GE.utf8, kk_KZ.utf8, kl_GL.utf8, km_KH.utf8, kn_IN.utf8, ko_KR.utf8, kok_IN.utf8, ks_IN.utf8, ku_TR.utf8, kw_GB.utf8, ky_KG.utf8, lg_UG.utf8, li_BE.utf8, li_NL.utf8, lo_LA.utf8, lt_LT.utf8, lv_LV.utf8, mai_IN.utf8, mg_MG.utf8, mi_NZ.utf8, mk_MK.utf8, ml_IN.utf8, mn_MN.utf8, mr_IN.utf8, ms_MY.utf8, mt_MT.utf8, my_MM.utf8, nb_NO.utf8, nds_DE.utf8, nds_NL.utf8, ne_NP.utf8, nl_AW.utf8, nl_BE.utf8, nl_NL.utf8, nn_NO.utf8, no_NO.utf8, nr_ZA.utf8, nso_ZA.utf8, oc_FR.utf8, om_ET.utf8, om_KE.utf8, or_IN.utf8, pa_IN.utf8, pa_PK.utf8, pap_AN.utf8, pl_PL.utf8, ps_AF.utf8, pt_BR.utf8, pt_PT.utf8, ro_RO.utf8, ru_RU.utf8, ru_UA.utf8, rw_RW.utf8, sa_IN.utf8, sc_IT.utf8, sd_IN.utf8, se_NO.utf8, shs_CA.utf8, si_LK.utf8, sid_ET.utf8, sk_SK.utf8, sl_SI.utf8, so_DJ.utf8, so_ET.utf8, so_KE.utf8, so_SO.utf8, sq_AL.utf8, sq_MK.utf8, sr_ME.utf8, sr_RS.utf8, ss_ZA.utf8, st_ZA.utf8, sv_FI.utf8, sv_SE.utf8, ta_IN.utf8, te_IN.utf8, tg_TJ.utf8, th_TH.utf8, ti_ER.utf8, ti_ET.utf8, tig_ER.utf8, tk_TM.utf8, tl_PH.utf8, tn_ZA.utf8, tr_CY.utf8, tr_TR.utf8, ts_ZA.utf8, tt_RU.utf8, ug_CN.utf8, uk_UA.utf8, ur_PK.utf8, ve_ZA.utf8, vi_VN.utf8, wa_BE.utf8, wo_SN.utf8, xh_ZA.utf8, yi_US.utf8, yo_NG.utf8, zh_CN.utf8, zh_HK.utf8, zh_SG.utf8, zh_TW.utf8, zu_ZA.utf8

Aborted!

Hope this helps!