Error when summarizing metadata

Hi Qiime

I have just run a "qiime feature-table summarize --i-table table.qza --o-visualization table-dada2.qzv --m-sample-metadata-file metadata.tsv"

However following error came up

The following ID(s) are not present in the Metadata: 'XAA', 'XAB', 'XAC', 'XAD', 'XYZ'

Debug info has been saved to /var/folders/vs/0vv4fwcd6936b33m07w7ylwc0000gn/T/qiime2-q2cli-err-d56nd8lk.log

Iam not really sure why.

Following is the screenshot of my metadata and the fastq file that used to process the data.

12%20PM|690x141

Thanks a million
Aji

Hi @ajiwahyu,

It looks like your screenshot of your metadata didn't quite work. Could you upload again?

I think I see what is maybe happening, but without the metadata screenshot, I'm not certain.

What version of QIIME 2 are you using? (qiime info will say).

First question, if you run that command without the --m-sample-metadata-file flag do you see the sample names you expect? e.g. are you expecting XAA, XAB, XAC to be your sample names?

If not, then what is happening is this segment of your filename: _BSEC_, _BSI_, _JSEC_, etc, has been understood to be the barcode identifier, which is mostly an arbitrary segment, it is ignored by QIIME 2.

If you intend for the sample IDs to be XAA_BSEC instead of XAA then you'll either need to add an extra segment for your barcode id (it can really be anything at all): XAA_BSEC_ANYTHING_L001_R1_001.fastq.gz or you can use a FASTQ Manifest which will allow you to rename your samples on the fly.

Let me know if that makes sense!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.