Emperor without custom axes

Hi @Nicholas_Bokulich! So I realized pretty quickly that I was being silly and using an option that does not exist in my data set! However, I am now having the problem that I can not generate an emperor plot as none of my custom axises have solely numbers in them. I’m not sure how I work around this problem as the data that I have must contain non-numerical descriptors. here is an example of the command that I am using: qiime emperor plot --i-pcoa core-metrics-results/unweighted_unifrac_pcoa_results.qza --m-metadata-file infant-metadata3.tsv --p-custom-axis Description --o-visualization core-metrics-results/unweighted-unifrac-emperor.qzv

Hi @lmarple,
--p-custom-axis only accepts numerical data because it is intended, e.g., to plot the relationship between a numerical value (e.g., time) and PCoA ordination.

It sounds like what you are trying to do is separate sample groups along axis-1 using the “Description” column, which contains non-numeric data; this can still be done. What I recommend doing is creating a new metadata column that assigns “Description” values to “dummy variables”, e.g., numbers 1-n (where n = the number of unique values you have in “Description”).

Does that solve your problem? If not, please post back (and possibly provide a metadata file; you can send directly to me if you don’t want to share publicly) and we can help work through this.

Just a quick followup: @lmarple, --p-custom-axis is optional, so if you don’t want to include an explicit numeric axis you can just omit that option.

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.