Demultiplexing fails with golay error correction (qiime2-2019.4)

Hi,
Demultiplexing (either single or paired end) fails when running demux emp with default parameters in the latest qiime version (2019.4).
When adding the --p-no-golay-error-correction flag, it works and returns exactly the same output as previous versions of qiime (tested on 2018.11).
Any idea why it failed?
Example commands:
(qiime-2019.4) qiime demux emp-single --m-barcodes-file FILE --m-barcodes-column BarcodeSequence --i-seqs single_end_sequences.qza --o-per-sample-sequences demux_single --o-error-correction-details error.qza
returns:
Plugin error from demux:

• No sequences were mapped to samples. Check that your barcodes are in the correct orientation (see the rev_comp_barcodes and/or rev_comp_mapping_barcodes options).*

Adding --p-no-golay-error-correction works properly and returns the same output as qiime-2018.11 with the following command:
qiime demux emp-single --m-barcodes-file FILE --m-barcodes-column BarcodeSequence --i-seqs single_end_sequences.qza --o-per-sample-sequences demux_single

2 Likes

Hi there @yipinto? Do you have golay barcodes? If not, then you don't want to enable golay error correction --- I think that explains what you are seeing here... :qiime2:

A post was split to a new topic: Demuxing golay barcodes?