Converting manifest file into metadata for visualization?

Hello,

I reached the visualization step of the post-dada2 phase of my seqs.
Since I already have multiplexed files I used a manifest.txt file to create a single qza artifact with all of the 8 samples. I ran the dada2 method, and now would like to use this command:

qiime feature-table summarize \
--i-table table.qza
--o-visualization table.qzv
--m-sample-metadata-file manifest.txt

However, it seems that the --m sample-metadata-file do not accept the manifest file as a metadata, and I get this error:

There was an issue with loading the file manifest.txt as metadata:
Invalid characters (e.g. '/', '\x00', '\', '*', '<', '>', '?', '|', '$') or empty ID detected in metadata index: 'BS3,/home/eddie/Barak/banana/eddie_single_end/BS3.fastq,forward'. There may be more errors present in this metadata. Sample/feature metadata files can be validated using Keemei: http://keemei.qiime.org

I do understand the literal meaning of the error, but how can I create a metadata file in Excel that will correspond to the manifest file, so I won't lose any information and that will match my table.qza file?

Attached is my manifest.txt file.
Thank you!
Barakmanifest.txt (624 Bytes)

Hi @barakdror! The manifest file is a format used for importing sequence data - it is not what we consider in QIIME 2 to be “Metadata.” For an overview of Metadata, and the TSV file format for specifying sample and feature metadata, please check out the Metadata Tutorial.

The section in the Metadata Tutorial titled “Metadata from a text file” contains the basic information for preparing a Metadata file - as well, the Moving Pictures tutorial (and many others as well) has a Sample Metadata TSV file that you could download and inspect for reference.

If you haven’t had a chance yet to work through the “Getting Started” guide, I highly recommend it!

Good luck and keep on QIIMEing! :t_rex:

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.