check whether the website of installing QIIME in Linux is working

Hi there,
I have installed miniconda. When insatalling QIIME2 using “wget https://data.qiime2.org/distro/core/qiime2-2020.2-py36-linux-conda.yml”; it suggested “can not open”.I have tried this website in browser, but it does not work. So I want to check if this website works normally. Thank you.
Regards,
Alice

Please read the following before posting!

Is this post about a Technical Support Question? Those include error messages observed while running QIIME 2, errors observed while installing QIIME 2, or any other “software” related problem or bug. Please do not post questions here that have to do with interpretation of results, or general discussion.

Before posting, please make sure you have the following information available, in order for us to help you in a timely manner:

• Have you searched for the problem on the forum? It is rare that we see a new question asked, so make sure you do your homework before asking for us to commit our time to helping you.
  • Have you reviewed the QIIME 2 Forum Glossary?
  • Version of QIIME 2 you are running, and how it is installed (e.g. Virtualbox, conda, etc.)
  • What is the exact command or commands you ran? Copy and paste please.
  • What is the exact error message? If you didn’t run the command with the --verbose flag, please re-run and copy-and-paste the results.

Hi @alice_wang,
Welcome to the forum!
The link you provided works fine for me. Note that wget is simply downloading a .yaml file, not installing QIIME 2 itself. The installation happens in the next step when you conda install and it basically uses the .yaml file as a instruction manual.
Can you describe to us exactly what you have done so far that is giving you installation issues? Including the operating system you are using, the exact commands you have typed, and the the exact error message you are seeing (copy & paste all of these please).

Hi Mehrbod,
Thanks for your reply. I used Ubuntu v18.08 to install qiime 2.
The detailed error is Resolving data.qiime2.org...failed: Name or service not known; wget: unable to resolve host address 'data.qiime2.org'
regards,

alice

Hi @alice_wang,
Thanks for the update. If you can’t open the URL regularly on your browser (which I believe you said you couldn’t) it is possible that your requests are being denied by a firewall, either institutional or sometimes country-wide. I would get in touch with your system admin to see how you can get access to this.
Keep us posted!

1 Like

Hello Mehrbod,
I have shut down the firewall and connected the data.qiime2.org. But when resolving raw.githubuserconnect.com, the connection failed. The detailed error is attached. Could you help me to check it ? Thank you very much.
Regards,
Alice

Hi @alice_wang - can you re-run the command, but this time include the --verbose flag? That might help point us in the right direction. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.