454 data: errors right up front! Qiime tools import errors

Hi there,
I'm pretty new to QIIME2, so this is probably something super simple. I'm using v2023.5 and trying to run thru the 454 tutorial, as I have old but import data I need to analyze, however I'm running into an error right off the bat! When running the Tools Import command (below) I get "command not found" and whatnot. I did download the .zip, and added the .qual and .fna into the q1-fastaqual directory. I am working from that directory. I'm not sure what I missed. Any ideas?

qiime tools import
--type MultiplexedSingleEndBarcodeInSequence
--input-format MultiplexedFastaQualDirFmt
--input-path q1-fastaqual
--output-path seqs.qza

Errors received:
There were some problems with the command:
(1/3) Missing option '--type'.
(2/3) Missing option '--input-path'.
(3/3) Missing option '--output-path'.
And all kicked back "command not found"

Hello @jvoelschow,

Did you add a backslash \ to the end of each of those lines except the last one?

1 Like

ooo, no I hadn't. Thank you! That helped get passed those errors, but now I'm getting a " (1/1) Invalid value for '--input-path': Path 'q1-fastaqual' does not exist."

The tutorial didn't include the \ in the command, so I'm wondering if it's skipping steps that are considered standard, and I'm just not experienced enough to know it yet.

Hello @jvoelschow,

Anytime you want to break one command over multiple lines you need to use the backslash character at the end of any line that doesn't finish the command. Otherwise the newline (enter) is taken to mean you want the line you just typed to be run as a command by itself.

The tutorial didn't include the \ in the command, so I'm wondering if it's skipping steps that are considered standard, and I'm just not experienced enough to know it yet.

I found the tutorial you're talking about; it's not skipping steps so much as it's just missing a minor detail. It's just something you have to remember. The \ could have been included so the commands could be more easily copy-pasted.

but now I'm getting a " (1/1) Invalid value for '--input-path': Path 'q1-fastaqual' does not exist. "

This simply means that the directory q1-fastqual does not exist in the directory in which you ran that command. Either it is in another directory and you need to provide the path to it, or there's a typo.

Oh, gotcha! Yeah, I was accidentally already in the directory, so that solved that problem. I thought that ought to fix it, but now...Yet another error (below) with the same tools import command. I downloaded the zip, and moved and renamed the .fna and .qual files into the q1-fastaqual directory. There has got to be something I'm missing that I just don't know about.

There was a problem importing q1-fastaqual:

Missing one or more files for MultiplexedFastaQualDirFmt: 'reads.fasta'

Hello @jvoelschow,

Would you mind renaming those files reads.fasta and reads.qual and re-running? Please let us know if this fixes the issue.

Ah, yes, yes. I wasn't aware I had to change the .fna to .fasta.... Anyway, it was smooth sailing after that, up until I hit the visualizing taxonomy step. I fought with the classifier for a little bit, but figured that out. Got it!!!

I really appreciate all your help and patience!

Hello @jvoelschow,

It wasn't your fault, we forgot to update the tutorial when the filenames were changed.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.