wget error when attempting native installation using Windows Subsystem for Linux

I am attempting to install Qiime2 2020.8 on my computer using Windows subsystem for Linux. I am following the tutorial and everything seemed fine up through downloading the installation files.

When I run the following command: wget https://data.qiime2.org/distro/core/qiime2-2020.8-py36-linux-conda.yml

I get the following error: Resolving data.qiime2.org… failed: Temporary failure in name resolution.
wget: unable to resolve host address ‘data.qiime2.org

When I enter the URL directly into my browser, it does not initiate a download. I thought based on reading on the forum that this could be attributable to a firewall or antivirus conflict, so I disabled my antivirus software temporarily. This did not help, I got the same error.

Can anyone provide a suggestion about what I might be doing wrong? Or a workaround for accessing the file? Thank you.

Hi @buchalf! :wave:

Did you run the step for installing wget with conda? Can you share the output of which wget?

1 Like

Hi @andrewsanchez,

Thank you so much for the reply. I did run the step for installing wget with conda, and wget-log is listed when I run ls

“which wget” outputs /home/buchalf/miniconda3/bin/wget

Interestingly enough, though, it seems as though the issue has resolved itself. I attempted to run the wget tonight, and it went through successfully. I was then able to complete the installation successfully. I’m not sure why this worked, as I tried the same thing yesterday unsuccessfully for two hours!

Thank you!

2 Likes

I am currently having the same issue.
https://data.qiime2.org/distro/core/qiime2-2020.8-py36-linux-conda.yml
Resolving data.qiime2.org… failed: Temporary failure in name resolution.

Here is the wget that I have.
which wget
/home/james/miniconda3/bin/wget.

It has not fixed itself for me yet and I have been trying for a day to get it to work. Any help would be great.

The name resolution error sounds like DNS issues on your end, which I don’t think we can do anything about. One alternative is to download files via your browser instead. You can do this by copy/pasting the link into your browser, right-clicking the page, and clicking “save as.”

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.