Some variables in metadata are ommitted

In my metadata, totally I have 50 variables. Some variables are categorized as 1,2,3. But when I did faith-pd-group-significance.qzv, it said
"The following metadata categories have been omitted because the metadata was numerical, not categorical: F002, ANClt1000, Creat, Sample.description, ALC, Sample.number, Albumin, Exp.number, ZarsScore, CCI, F106, F014020, Recurrence90, WBC, Age, ANC, SevereCDI, ALClt1000, Group, MRN, Hornsindexseverity".

Actually, the numbers describe the categories. But I am not sure how to change their format in .tsv file to make them category? Or I have to change their name to include strings?

1 Like

Hi @Lyons_Zhang,
See this post. This method only operates on categorical data, but you can trick QIIME into interpreting data as categorical by adding non-numeric characters. For example, 1, 2, 3 could become:
I, II, III
one, two, three
1_, 2_, 3_

In a future release of QIIME2, we plan to provide an easier approach to allow QIIME to interpret numeric columns as categorical. We will post to this thread to announce this change when it occurs. Stay tuned!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

In the QIIME 2 2018.2 release, Metadata supports optional column typing, allowing users to declare a metadata column “categorical” or “numeric”. Using optional column typing, columns that look “numeric” can be declared to be “categorical”, allowing the columns to be used in categorical analyses such as alpha-group-significance.

There are a number of other changes to QIIME 2 Metadata in the 2018.2 release. See this forum announcement for details on what changed, as well as the updated Metadata tutorial. :sun_with_face: