QIIME is caching your current deployment.....Illegal instruction (core dumped)

Thanks to @sfiligoi and @wasade for getting a new version of unifrac-binaries out so quickly so that we could test this!

1 Like

Hello,

the workaround solved the illegal instruction (core dumped) error on my Linux server (fresh install of AlmaLinux 9.2, with miniconda/python 3.8), but I ran into other issues with q2 composition ancombc.

Since the underlying hardware is old (HPE DL180 G6, year 2011), I am wondering whether the next release would be more tolerant to older hardware, or whether this will not be in the focus of the update.

Hey @arwqiime,

Sorry for losing track of this thread!

Our goal was to have these fixes available in the latest release, however it requires us to update a dependency chain in biom-format -> scikit-bio -> scipy.

We attempted this in 2022.11, but it went pretty poorly, so since the start of this year, we've been working behind the scenes on a new CI system to make these larger transitions possible. We were expecting that system to be online by the 2023.5 release, but we didn't quite get there. So for the moment, you are limited to some of the suggestions in this thread, none of which are super fun to get working.

Hopefully we will have our new CI online for the next release (perhaps 2023.7?) so that we can wrangle these dependencies correctly and get the latest unifrac installed which will fix this issue for everyone missing AVX.

1 Like