Problems with demux command

Hi ,
I made the emp-paired-end-sequences.qza files and am running the demux command.

qiime demux emp-paired --i-seqs emp-paired-end-sequences.qza --m-barcodes-file sample_metadata.csv --m-barcodes-column barcodes_column.tsv --output-dir EMPPairedEndSequences
But qiime reports an error here: :tired_face:

There was an issue with retrieving column 'barcodes_column.tsv' from the metadata:
'barcodes_column.tsv' is not a column in the metadata. Available columns: 'BarcodeSequenceForward', 'BarcodeSequenceReverse', 'LinkerPrimerSequence', 'ReversePrimer'
I validated the sample_metadata file using keemei and there was no problem sample_metadata.csv (682 Bytes)
The barcodes column file is also attached barcodes_column.tsv (145 Bytes)
Can someone kindly help !!!! is it that the names in the 2 tsv files are not matching ....or do I have to keep only one set of barcodes in the sample_metadata file. :sweat: .
regards,
Amit

If you read the help documentation for that command (qiime demux emp-paired --help) you will see that:

--m-barcodes-column MetadataColumn[Categorical]
                                  Column from metadata file or artifact
                                  viewable as metadata. The sample metadata
                                  column containing the per-sample barcodes.
                                  [required]

So that parameter should be the name of the column in sample_metadata.csv, not the name of a file. The error message also recommends the fix:

So try one of those instead.

I hope that helps!

1 Like

:star_struck: Thanks again…so kind of you for your help.

1 Like

Hey @Nicholas_Bokulich…all the samples got demultiplexed using the help you rendered…except one where it says: Mismatched sequence ids: M03755:3:000000000-BFMTT:1:1101:22723:1748, M03755:3:000000000-BFMTT:1:1101:22723:1748, and M03755:4:000000000-C48N6:1:1101:18534:1592.
What can I do to remove this error. Kindly help. Do these samples have to be sequenced again ?

regards,
Amit.

Hi @amit,
You definitely do not need to resequence these samples.

This means that those sequence IDs do not have a paired read. You must have done some type of pre-processing that removed the pairs for those reads (since all sequence headers should be present in both the forward and reverse sequence files).

It sounds like this is just a small number causing problems. You could manually remove those sequences before importing.

Good luck!

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.