Problem in installing Qiime 2 in Ubuntu18.04LTS

I tried to install QIIME 2 in our work station which contains Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, but failed. Can you please suggest me the version of UBUNTU where QIIME 2 can be installed and used properly?

Hi @SUNANDA,
Welcome to the forum!
Though I’m not an expert in these situations personally, I and many others have successfully installed qiime2 on 18.04 LTS, so the issue is not the Ubuntu version. Could you please provide us with exactly what you have done so far to install qiime2 and what errors you are getting along the way. Exact commands and errors would especially help. There are a lot of moving parts here so we would need a lot more information to troubleshoot this any further. Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you very much for the information.

We first downloaded and installed Qiime deploy from (https://github.com/qiime2) and then followed the given procedure to install Qiime. We also have installed Python 3.3.

The commands and the simultaneous error messages are as follows:

Command: tar zxvf qiime-deploy-qiime.tgz

Error message: tar (child): qiime-deploy-qiime.tgz: Cannot open: No such file or directory

tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now

tar : Child returned status 2

Command: python qiime-deploy.py $HOME/qiime_software/ -f etc/qiime.conf

Error message: python: can’t open file ‘qiime-deploy.py’: [Errno 2]

It would be very helpful if you can please suggest some ways how to deal with this errors. I will be very obliged if you can please tell me (if possible) the installation procedure step by step so that I can try once again to install Qiime 2.

Hi @SUNANDA,

Have you tried installing qiime2 through its recommended miniconda installation? The full installation process is super easy and in my opinion much better on a shared system if its self-contained. The installation is described fully here.

No, I did not use the miniconda installation. Thank you for your suggestion. I will surely try installing qiime2 through miniconda installation and get back if I have any problem.
Thank you once again.

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion of using Miniconda. I could successfully install QIIME2 using the Miniconda package. But I have one more query, that can the same commands or scripts that we use for QIIME1 (http://qiime.org/scripts/) be used for QIIME2 or do we have some other set of scripts?
It will be very helpful if you can please answer.

Hi @SUNANDA,
I’m glad you got it working! Qiime2 is a completely revamping of Qiime1, therefore you will not be able to use any of the same scripts from Qiime1. That being said, all those functionalities, plus a ton of new and improved methods are available now so it is well worth learning Qiime2.
I strongly recommend starting from the beginning on the Qiime2 documentations here. Reading through the core-concepts will give you an idea of the main goals and differences from Qiime1, while a series of step-by-step tutorials will show you in depth examples of how your analysis can go. There is even a tutorial for more experienced users if you think the beginner ones are not for you. Once you get yourself orientated you can check out Qiime2 library which holds separate registered qiime2 plugins that users have developed that really complement the core methods in qiime2 itself.
Good luck and happy Qiimin’.