Plugin error from feature-table: Image size is too large.

Hi, I know that Heatmaps will be discontinued, but while it is still here, I just wanted to see how my data looks like. So I did:
qiime feature-table heatmap --i-table vsjoin_clustered97_min10-table.qza --m-sample-metadata-file …/metadata_vvv.txt --m-sample-metadata-column kod --p-title vsjoin_clustered-table_jaccard-weighted --p-method weighted --p-metric jaccard --o-visualization vsjoin_clustered-table_jaccard-weighted-heatmap
But I got the error message like:
Plugin error from feature-table:
Image size of 85704x1372 pixels is too large. It must be less than 2^16 in each direction.
Debug info has been saved to /tmp/qiime2-q2cli-err-3m7znqsa.log

I guess that my data is to complex for this module, but I do not know how I can decrease the resolution of the figure. What I can think of for dodging this problem is to decrease the number of features by collapsing the the sequences or discarding the least abundant features. But if there is a trivial way of just asking for lower resolution of the graph, I would be thankful to know that.

The error log looked like this:
cat /tmp/qiime2-q2cli-err-3m7znqsa.log
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/kp/.conda/envs/qiime2-2019.10/lib/python3.6/site-packages/q2cli/commands.py”, line 328, in call
results = action(**arguments)
File “</home/kp/.conda/envs/qiime2-2019.10/lib/python3.6/site-packages/decorator.py:decorator-gen-342>”, line 2, in heatmap
File “/home/kp/.conda/envs/qiime2-2019.10/lib/python3.6/site-packages/qiime2/sdk/action.py”, line 240, in bound_callable
output_types, provenance)
File “/home/kp/.conda/envs/qiime2-2019.10/lib/python3.6/site-packages/qiime2/sdk/action.py”, line 445, in callable_executor
ret_val = self._callable(output_dir=temp_dir, **view_args)
File “/home/kp/.conda/envs/qiime2-2019.10/lib/python3.6/site-packages/q2_feature_table/_heatmap/_visualizer.py”, line 166, in heatmap
heatmap_plot.savefig(img_fp)
File “/home/kp/.conda/envs/qiime2-2019.10/lib/python3.6/site-packages/seaborn/matrix.py”, line 1013, in savefig
self.fig.savefig(*args, **kwargs)
File “/home/kp/.conda/envs/qiime2-2019.10/lib/python3.6/site-packages/matplotlib/figure.py”, line 2180, in savefig
self.canvas.print_figure(fname, **kwargs)
File “/home/kp/.conda/envs/qiime2-2019.10/lib/python3.6/site-packages/matplotlib/backend_bases.py”, line 2082, in print_figure
**kwargs)
File “/home/kp/.conda/envs/qiime2-2019.10/lib/python3.6/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_agg.py”, line 527, in print_png
FigureCanvasAgg.draw(self)
File “/home/kp/.conda/envs/qiime2-2019.10/lib/python3.6/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_agg.py”, line 386, in draw
self.renderer = self.get_renderer(cleared=True)
File “/home/kp/.conda/envs/qiime2-2019.10/lib/python3.6/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_agg.py”, line 399, in get_renderer
self.renderer = RendererAgg(w, h, self.figure.dpi)
File “/home/kp/.conda/envs/qiime2-2019.10/lib/python3.6/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_agg.py”, line 86, in init
self._renderer = _RendererAgg(int(width), int(height), dpi)
ValueError: Image size of 85704x1372 pixels is too large. It must be less than 2^16 in each direction.

Hi @Peter_Kos,

I am not aware of such plans — I think perhaps you read that the heatmaps and other visualizations in q2-gneiss are being deprecated by the gneiss developers. But feature-table heatmaps will remain.

Indeed, those are our recommendations — particularly discarding the low-abundance features, which will make for a denser, nicer plot anyway, but reducing the features that are so infrequently observed that they just create empty space on this heatmap.

Not at the moment, but we have an open feature request to take care of that. No eta on when it will be filled, but contributions to the code base are welcome!

1 Like

Thx you are right, it was about gneiss, I mixed up things, sorry 4 that.

It worked. I discarded the <15 rather than <10 and the database seemingly did not loose any significant part, whereas the Heatmap works now.

1 Like