PICRUSt2 alternative

Hello everyone,

I am looking for an alternative to PICRUSt2 that performs the same function but is compatible with Macbook with M2 chip. I have already tried to install PICRUSt2, but it seems to be incompatible with AMR architecture.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for other tools that could perform the same function?

Thank you in advance for your help!

1 Like

Hi

You may try Tax4Fun, but I have no experience with this software.

[EDIT] No, T4F no longer exists: Installation: Tax4Fun2 package are not found and github repository is not maintained anymore

@otrujillor

If you search the forum you'll find that you can simply set up your M1/M2 Mac to run Rosetta, which will run your Intel based code just fine.

Here is one example post.

In fact, you can take an example from the QIIME 2 install instructions for ARM / Apple silicon. You should be able to do something like this:

CONDA_SUBDIR=osx-64 conda env create -n picrust2
conda activate picrust2
conda install -c bioconda picrust2
conda config --env --set subdir osx-64

I've not tried the above, so perhaps someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.

Even simpler, install the Intel version of conda but make sure your terminal is set to run under Rosetta. You can do this by right-clicking on the terminal and then selecting "Get Info", then check the Rosetta box. Although this assumes you won't need to use ARM based code.

I am currently trying to use Tax4Fun but have not been successful... yet. The install process is here.