Metadata typing error in alpha diversity box plots

When I create the alpha-diversity box plots, I get the following error:

The following metadata categories have been omitted because the metadata was numerical, not categorical: (and then it lists a number of things that ARE categorical but coded as 0,1,2)

I followed the instructions to type my metadata,

““You can use an optional comment directive to declare column types in your metadata file. The comment directive must appear directly below the header. The row’s first cell must be #q2:types to indicate the row is a comment directive. Subsequent cells may contain the values categorical or numeric (both case-insensitive). The empty cell is also supported if you do not wish to assign a type to a column (the type will be inferred in that case). Thus, it is easy to include this comment directive without having to declare types for every column in your metadata.””

and I double checked several times to make sure that everything is spelled correctly in that file. (here is the second line of my mapping file, just below the header)

#q2:types categorical categorical categorical categorical categorical categorical categorical categorical categorical categorical categorical

I can try translating 0 to 0_ etc, however I was wondering if you have any other advice

Thank you!

Hi @ariel - what version of QIIME 2 are you using? Metadata typing wasn’t made available until QIIME 2 2018.2. If you are using that version, can you please send us:

• The command you are running
  • All of the files necessary to run it (metadata, alpha div, etc)

If you are unable to post publicly, feel free to send in a DM. Thanks! :t_rex:

Hi Matthew,

Oh, I see. That makes sense. I didn’t realize that I had to do something to update that on my end. Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.