Is there a way to use a FASTA/QUAL file for the moving pictures tutorial?

Hello,

I am fairly new to QIIME and other script-based programs, but am learning quickly. I was wondering if it was possible to use a FASTA/QUAL (sequences/barcodes) file to run through the Moving Pictures tutorial. I have a FASTA/QUAL file with an associated mapping Metadata file that was produced by a company called MR DNA, many years ago, and I want to do the analyses with the data the same way it was done in the Moving Pictures tutorial. Is there anyway to do this?

Side Note: I have used QIIME 1 to convert my FASTA/QUAL file into a FASTQ file, but I only have a FASTQ file for the sequences and am lacking one for the barcodes, so I am unable to proceed with the single file in the Moving Pictures tutorial.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

:+1:

There is no way to use fasta+qual files, but you did the right first step (this is an old format so we don't really intend to support direct importation of this format)

where are the barcodes?

1. inline in the read
    Use q2-cutadapt to demultiplex
  2. in the fastq header lines
    use other commands in qiime1 to create a separate barcode (maybe extract_barcodes.py)
  3. in a separate fasta for which there are no qual scores
    make fake qual scores for each barcode sequence.
  4. you have no barcodes because this is one sample
    import as SampleData[SequencesWithQuality] or SampleData[PairedEndSequencesWithQuality] format, which are for demultiplexed data, and proceed with denoising/otu clustering.

If the barcodes are in a different place, let us know.

I went with option 2 and was able to extract the barcodes from the sequences and have created a barcode FASTQ file. I am now able to move forward with the Moving Pictures tutorial with my own data set. Thank you very much!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.