Is it possible to import a BIOM V1 file to produce a FeatureData[Taxonomy] type artifact?

I am running qiime2-2018.11, and I get an error when trying to import a BIOM V1 file . Using the following command:

qiime tools import --input-path ./species.biom --output-path out.qza --type FeatureData[Taxonomy] --input-format BIOMV100Format

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2018.11/lib/python3.5/site-packages/q2cli/tools.py", line 140, in import_data
    view_type=input_format)
  File "/usr/local/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2018.11/lib/python3.5/site-packages/qiime2/sdk/result.py", line 240, in import_data
    return cls._from_view(type_, view, view_type, provenance_capture)
  File "/usr/local/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2018.11/lib/python3.5/site-packages/qiime2/sdk/result.py", line 264, in _from_view
    recorder=recorder)
  File "/usr/local/miniconda3/envs/qiime2-2018.11/lib/python3.5/site-packages/qiime2/core/transform.py", line 59, in make_transformation
    (self._view_type, other._view_type))
Exception: No transformation from <class 'q2_types.feature_table._format.BIOMV100Format'> to <class 'qiime2.plugin.model.directory_format.TSVTaxonomyDirectoryFormat'>

An unexpected error has occurred:

No transformation from <class 'q2_types.feature_table._format.BIOMV100Format'> to <class 'qiime2.plugin.model.directory_format.TSVTaxonomyDirectoryFormat'>

See above for debug info.

The biom file validates correctly, however. And if I convert to BIOM V2, then it is able to import.

biom validate-table -i ./species.biom --detailed-report
Validating BIOM table...
Validating 'format'...
Validating 'format_url'...
Validating 'type'...
Validating 'rows'...
Validating 'columns'...
Validating 'shape'...
Validating 'data'...
Validating 'matrix_type'...
Validating 'matrix_element_type'...
Validating 'generated_by'...
Validating 'id'...
Validating 'date'...
Validating 'shape' versus number of rows and columns...
The input file is a valid BIOM-formatted file.

biom convert --to-hdf5 -i ./species.biom --table-type "OTU table" -o out.biom
qiime tools import --input-path ./out.biom --output-path out.qza --type FeatureData[Taxonomy] --input-format BIOMV210Format

Imported ./out.biom as BIOMV210Format to out.qza

No — you cannot import a biom table as a taxonomy file.

However, you can 1) convert to TSV, then 2) just trim out all columns except for the first and the last, then 3) import that as a FeatureData[Taxonomy] file.

I hope that helps!

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.